New Win 10 Pro Install

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by vze2mp9g, Dec 10, 2016.

1. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Hello,
    I did a fresh new install of Windows 10 Pro VL about six weeks ago. I've been noticing that when I first installed win 10, I had three partitions. I've been having issues with win 10 recently and I noticed that I have additional partitions I did not authorized. I did not install any new or unwanted software because I have been using a Toshiba Satellite laptop I purchased almost two years ago. I only use the laptop recently for internet research, mostly job related, some emails (I've been using my iPhone mostly for emails), and I do all my letter writing with MS Word 2016.

Back to my main question, should I have other partitions with Windows 10 Pro. See below the partitions.
    partition-list-12-09-2016.jpg partition-delete-12-09-2016.jpg

I would appreciate any assistance on how I can get rid of the partitions I don't need.
    Thank You.
    :worthy:

2. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    You don't need to worry about those partitions as they use only a small fraction of your hard disk. Having two recovery partitions is questionable but you might want to remove one of them and expand the local drive C. The other ones should be left alone for better functionality of your system. It looks like you are running a UEFI based system.

3. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    Your system partions seem correct : partition 2 is the fat32 system partition which allows UEFI booti, Partition 3 is the Microsoft reserved partition and Partition 4 is your Windows partition. I wouldn't worry about the recovery partitions. You can manage them with reagentc.

4. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    I guess I am running a UEFI based system. Like I mentioned, its on a Toshiba Satellite notebook/laptop. Isn't that the default install options?

This may have nothing to do with this question, but I attempted to do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro using three different builds. Every time I attempted to boot from the DVD (through Windows Settings, BIOS, ADVANCED SETTING) it was unable to boot from the DVD and the hardware failed and booted back into my current version of Windows 10 Pro.

Then, with no other options remaining, I went to boot from the flash/thumb drive I purchased from Toshiba to do a complete wipe of my computer and put it back to Windows 8.1 Pro. I did the same thing as I did with the DVD, except I chose to boot from a USB drive, and the same thing happened and the hardware failed and booted back into my current version of Windows 10 Pro.

All I want to do is do do a CLEAN install of Windows 10 Pro, but I think that it could have something to do with the extra hidden partition. I could be wrong, but I'm putting it all out there.

I hope that someone is able to assist me with this minor issue, and see something that is so simple and small, that I am over looking.
    Thank you....

:worthy:

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I wouldn't touch those (by Windows created) Partitions! If it bothered you to see those Partitions in Windows Explorer (File Manager), just use Disk Management for to remove the Drive Letter for those partitions!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...