New Win7 Ultimate X64 with SP1 and all updates BLUE SCREEN with restart(s).

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Orgon, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Orgon

Orgon MDL Junior Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Hello this time help is really needed.
    Now I’m going bonkers after the following re-installation over a non-SP1 version 7600 Windows7 Ultimate.

1. Using the .exe ISO file X17-59465 posted here @ Digital River (by Jan Krohn) is the file that should be used to “inject” the missing SP1 into the faded Windows 7 Ultimate that is messing up my computer.
    2. For precautions I did back up the important files on separate HD and noticed at the installation that the drive where the new SP1 Windows 7 was to work from “only” had 342GB of free space for a file of 3.09GB. After installing this SP1 upgrade file and installing the updates post SP1 (139 were chosen by default) and prior to installing the Microsoft Office 2007 suite – same as was installed on this HD – then I noticed that the C: drive disk space had shrunk with 33GB. This leaves - at time of writing - only 310GB of untouched free usable space.(Where did the rest of the free usable 155GB got lost; I should have 465GB of untouched space to use?).
    3. Today after restarting the computer (it is with SP1, product id number and has the evaluation period) my screen got messy again with the numerous small tiles obscuring the Windows desktop: this after having performed a secure online payment and (for safety reasons) checking the bank account for the amount that was withdrawn did not exceed any suspicious sums of money withdrawals; it checked out to be okay.
    (Before shutting down the computer today I’ll perform a thorough scan with the recommended MSE).

1. The unexpected caused an automatic re-start [with choice to boot in Safe Mode (with networking)] that I can’t be blamed for initiating.

Why did this happen and can a partition manager help me with restoring the missing 155GB?
    Thank you for step by step help with this erratic behavior
    o_O.

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Try and post a screen shot from disk management.

3. Orgon

Orgon MDL Junior Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Maybe it's an BIOS update that should be done, however exactly which part of the disk management image are you requesting? :unsure:

4. Orgon

Orgon MDL Junior Member

Jul 10, 2011
    So, here it is Capture.PNG As you see the C: disk is healthy and has the 66% free space after the installation of new SP1 and updates for Windows7, this also including the entire M$ Office Outlook suite 2007, registered with SP3.According to calculating these numbers the actual remaining free space is 148.93GB.This has diminished by 6.07GB from yesterday.
    Now I'll perform the awaited - full - MSE scan (hope it doesn't find any SPAM) before performing any installation of software and additional programs.I'll be back in about 3½ hours for any further improvements with this and possibility of updating the BIOS (for 1st time) :eek: .

5. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I'd have never installed one OS over the other. It's been my experience that Windows doesn't always overwrite every single file but instead sometimes leaves one or more of the originals. If a machine of mine requires an OS reinstall, I wipe the drive using GPartEd (or similar) and install into a blank partition.

I suggest you do the same. Draconian as it may be, wiping and reinstalling can cure a host of ills.

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  8. f33nix

f33nix MDL Member

Apr 4, 2012
    I would take all the advice here and apply it when you have a few days to put it into practice.

Here are a few things that can account for your "lost" space:
    • Hibernation File = Your RAM size
    • PageFile = Will depend on how much RAM you have in machine, can add up to a few GB's
    • Bluescreen Dumps = When your machine has crashed it will have saved a dump of your RAM, again will be a few GB's taken up there
    • Install; if you installed over the top of the old then maybe you have Win.old folder left over from before?

Now I would take things step by step and try to keep a log of your actions (to help others to see what you have done)
    If you can post here your complete hardware specs then that may help to complete the picture of what you have.

Here is what I would do if I was in your shoes right now:
    • Consider updating BIOS, maybe they have released updates to make it more stable?
    • Clean the hard drive; as PhaseDoubt has suggested... consider using GParted or similar boot disk to blank the drive (REMOVE your other drive by unplugging both connectors!)
    • Windows 7 SP1, you can use the Simplix update pack as suggested by urie post install to update your system in one "hit" or alternatively I have Windows 7 64-bit that is "clean" and has the updates integrated to November as does Murphy78 on TPB if you do not want to do so many post install updates.
    • Drivers! You should get your chipset drivers loaded up and then work your way through all your hardware to locate updated drivers. Programs like DriverGenius can be useful to locate them if you are unsure where to locate them.