New Wireless Card not recognized even when Hotplugged - can it be Whitelisting issue?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by ondoho, Aug 16, 2014.

1. ondoho

ondoho MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2014
    Hello everyone,

I'm trying to revive an old Amilo La 1703.
    For that I would like to replace the old SiS wireless card with a newer (and hopefully better) one I have lying around.
    It's intel 512AN_MMW WiFiLink 5100.

The BIOS Whitelist removal request thread asks me to provide info about the new card by hotplugging it (putting it in when the boot process is just past the BIOS).
    Problem is, however I try (with this method, or just putting the card in "cold"), the system boots fine but the card is never recognized. and i mean the hardware; not the internet connection. with Linux, i should be able to see something with "lspci", "lsusb" or looking at boot logs. But, nada.
    The card is recognized just fine in another laptop.
    The original card is recognized in both laptop.

My Logic tells me that it cannot be a BIOS issue, or can it?

Thanks for helping me to get my brains back on track, starting to feel a bit mushy.

This is not (yet) a request for anything, but this is the current BIOS: support.ts.fujitsu.com/Download/Showdescription.asp?SoftwareGUID=5CEA9FA3-3801-4415-8402-74F92B28C307
    Most of the hardware is VIA Technologies.
    The original card is SiS 163u, or sis163u.

could there be some hardware incompatibilities, even though it works on another laptop?

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    the intels had a weird pin section that had to be taped if not used in specific modem laptop .. think pin 51 but not sure.
    try a different card in amilo

i have a few cards laying on my parts desk. i can send u one to try but when you said VIA hardware.. its a really old junk laptop.

EDIT: i just realized he posted this in 2014..