Newbie to windows 10...

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ThomasMann, Dec 4, 2018.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    My wife bought herself a new computer with Win10.and now I am forced to learn about it.
    It will be delivered in the afternoon....
    She is a translator, so she works with Office 2016 and the web (Firefox), its an HP with an i7/8550

What is most important... probably dealing with updating? Even I heard that there are multiple problems. Maybe something should be done offline right away?

It is supposed to be good to get rid off Edge? Yes? How?

Also, it would be nice if someone pointed me to some of the more important threads here. Maybe there are some things which if done in the very beginning will avoid some of the upcoming nonsense...

Thank you, I appreciate everybody's input. Please remember, this is my FIRST real contact with Win10...

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Why don't you leave it as it is and let your wife enjoy a normal functioning computer?

3. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Define normal functioning computer...
    Define enjoy it!!!!

:tooth:

4. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Hello @ThomasMann - The one thing I do to try and avoid major problems is to create a backup image on the weekend prior to patch Tuesday, which is the second Tuesday of each month. That way, if Windows updates go off the rails, I can restore my system to pre-apocalyptic condition.

Try Macrium Reflect. It's easy to use and relatively quick when creating or restoring backups. Just be sure to create their Rescue CD media as well as a recovery image, since having one without the other is useless.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    You almost wouldn't notice all is running fine, when it's not "improved" by chopping or tweaking by clueless people;)

Most people complaining are just copy/pasting or just exaggerate into the ridiculous, like using terms like apocalyptic conditions, that happened 3 times in many releases and the biggest is solved by upgrading with at least a 17763.55 iso.

The system @ThomasMann his wife gets, probably will be still on an earlier build too.

6. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    I believe that losing everything in your Documents, Pictures, Music, and Videos folders qualifies as apocalyptic for most people. Which is why you need to create backups. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    That was the one and only big event and it didn't happen to the majority of users, most is copy/pasted from shady bias'ed articles.

8. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thanks, Exactly, that is why I am asking, as I can still prevent updates that should not be on it....

As far as "improving" goes.. I just read on heise, that MS will get rid off Edge and change over to Chromium

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Updates are 99.99% save to use and these days you need all to be uptodate.

10. pcnavarra

pcnavarra MDL Senior Member

Nov 13, 2017
    Better to buy a gesture pad/mouse and try to install windows 8.1 surface on that new computer to enjoy a careless functional computer. :Lighten:

11. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    This seems to tell me, that Updates are automatically installed as soon as the computer connects to the net? And that unlike Win7, there is no Simplex?

That is not true Enthusiast.
    Just today I read that Microsoft has once more extended the list of problems for the messed up October(?) Update. I read it RIGHT NOW!

12. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    That's the upgrade, not the CU's, only 2 CU's in the past did some sort of bad things and with the next cu it was fixed, years ago.

13. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    It is a Lenovo and it has a paid for Office 2016 installed, so any updated version from an .iso will delete the Office installation?

14. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    From my own experience, I'm telling do not disable any inbuilt Windows app(s) that may render instability to the system.

In the past I disabled the Edge browser and made other tweaks to check the bandwidth of my connection which resulted in sudden shut down of PC with a notification, multiple time during work.

I therefore, get rid of Windows 10 Pro by installing the LTSB version of Windows 10.

15. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
  16. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank You Sid, found teh folder and saved a copy.
    Will have another look at the LTSB... was not there the problem that it is only valid for a limited time and has to re-installed?

17. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    :good3:

18. Dude Guyman

Dude Guyman MDL Senior Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Except, for example, I have a Plantronics 515HD usb headset that works just fine on the default drivers Windows installs when it's plugged in (with the network cable unplugged), but if I have it connected to the internet when I plug it in, Windows fetches some driver that completely breaks the headset so it produces zero sound at all. Just breaks it. I have to plug the damned thing in with no internet, then block the driver install by hardware id via gpedit or registry hack to make it stay put and work.

Windows forced updates are utter bu112h17.

19. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    EVAL version is always time-bombed, full version has 5+5 years support.

20. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    LTSC can resolve all the clutter issues with Pro, really nice not to see all that stuff. Plus there isn't much you can't configure to your liking including updates. However to run in conformance you need a VLK and a KMS, but there's simple ways to do it otherwise. Also there is no store or MS apps with LTSC so if you actually need that stuff, which some do, it might be a pain to get it working.