Newbie's questions on Windows Server 2012 Essentials

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by mydave, Jun 24, 2015.

1. mydave

mydave MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2015
    First post, please be gentle.:)
    I'm in the process to install WSE 2012 on a ThinkServer TS140 which would gradually replace the HP MediaSmart EX490 (WHSv1). I searched and found answers for many questions, except a few as follows. Please help.
    1. How can I run the new server with a Win7 and/or Win8 PC (same way as I've been doing with the EX490) ? This way, I can remove the keyboard & mouse from the new server and doing the management from another PC.
    2. I understand that a PC can only connect to one server. Is there a work-around, as I need times to transfer data from the EX490 ?
    3. I'd like for the two servers to connect to each other for files transfer. Is it possible ? How ?
    4. At times, I noticed that the WSE 2012 server showed limited internet access. Why ? Can it be fixed ?
    5. The new server has a mirror setup with dual 500 GB drives. The mirror has one 120 GB partition for OS (C drive) and the rest for data (D drive). When I add additional drives, can I include the D drive to a new Storage Spaces
    Any help would be most appreciated.
    Thanks

2. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hi mydave,

In all honesty I don't really get what your asking in most of these questions, as they seem to be elementary network stuff.
    In which case I'd advice doing some reading on 'Networking Basics' before you start the swap.

But still heres some answers:
    1a. Windows Server 2012 Essentials has 'Connecter' software like WHS had, which allows you to access/control the server dashboard.
    1b. You can use 'Remote Desktop Connection' (RDC) which comes built in to most versions of Windows to 'Connect To' and/or 'Control' your Server and any other computers.
    2. I don't know where you got this :confused:
    Every time you connect to a website your connecting to probably half a dozen servers. 1x where the site is and god knows how many with adverts, facebook and Google links.
    3. Any PC's (including Servers) can connect to any other PC's on the same network. Although, you'll need to 'Share' folders, and set 'Permissions' plus the PC's need to be in the same 'Workgroup' or 'Domain'
    4. =======
    5. NO, you can only add whole disks to 'Storage Spaces' not parts of disks.
    Personally, I'd use a smaller disk as the system drive and the 2x 500GB drives as your storage pool. Which you can add disks to latter.

Good Luck.

3. mydave

mydave MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2015
    Thank You, ZaForD.

1 + 2 +3> Sorry, I should have stated my question differently.
    I wish to manage both the WHS and the new WSE2012 from my main W7 PC.
    The WHS is in 'WORKGROUP' and the WSE2012 domain name is also 'WORKGROUP'.
    I've been using RDC to manage the WHS. I understand that the same can be done with new server. But,
    Reading somewhere, it was said that the RDC to WHS must be uninstalled prior to do 'http..//newserver/connect'. Perhaps, because one is in workgroup and the other is domain controller.
    Then, reading somewhere, there is this registry editing for my Win7 PC:
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Server\ClientDeployment" /v SkipDomainJoin /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Hence, I would like to be better knowledgeable to avoid unrecoverable mistakes.

5> Thanks for the clarification of 'Storage Spaces'.

Best,

4. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    OK, that's makes more sense :)

First I'm not to good with Domains, so I'll let the guys that know that stuff here out there.
    But the reg edit you have here..
    That allows you to use your Windows 7/8.x PC's with WSE2012 without joining the domain.
    Which is exactly how my setup works. Just remember to use it before you connect to the new server and download the connector software.
    Sidenote: If your going to use this reg edit, use it on ALL your Client PC's. It will make trouble shooting a lot easier. ;)

This too is easy enough, but you have to decide which Server you want to use the 'Connector Software' from.

You seem to be confusing RDC with the connector software, which kinda makes sense as the connector software uses RDC to help manage the Server. But RDC is part of Windows and can be used to connect multiple PC's at once.

IIRC the connector software from WHSv1, WHSv2, WSE2008 and WSE2012 all use the same ports, which causes conflict's. So each one will try to remove the others connector software. Which is probably what you were reading about.

Basically choose which Server you want to use the connector for (I'd choose WSE2012 here) and install the connecter software from that Server.
    Then use RDC and Mapped Drives or Shortcuts to the Sheared folders to manage/access the other Server.
    (I'd do this with your WHS as its a little easier to do on a Workgroup than it is on a Domain.)

I have my old WHSv2 server and my new WSE2012 R2 server running on the same network, so what you want to do is possible. It just takes a bit of extra organising to get all working. ;)

5. mydave

mydave MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2015
    Thank again, ZaForD, for being patient and informative.
    As I understand it, there are three (at least) different RDC's:
    . The built-in RDC in Win7/8
    . The connector software
    . The Remote Desktop Connection Manager v2.7 http..//blogs.technet.com/b/eopfieldnotes/archive/2014/12/03/remote-desktop-connection-managerupdated-to-v2-7.aspx
    I'm not sure which one would be best for my case. So far, I had reinstalled the WSE2012 three times, and a Win8 laptop twice.
    I'll keep trying and checking this thread for more update and info.
    Thanks again.
    Best,

6. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    No Worries mate. I'm just giving something back :cool:

. The built-in RDC in Win7/8 <-- This is the one I've always used.
    . The connector software <-- I'm pretty sure this uses the one above.
    . The Remote Desktop Connection Manager v2.7 <-- Never seen or herd of this one, looks like a tool for someone who knows what their doing. :confused:

If you Desktop or Server is powerful enough try installing a Server and Client in VM's. Its a great way practice/test out things.
    And its far easier to start again once you've messed up. :p

7. mydave

mydave MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2015
    Thanks again,
    I am trying to digesting the info that you provided. As for now, I know that it is best to redo WSE2012 once more time. The do the Reg Edit on a test PC. Then another venture. Isn't it great :(

8. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    I must have installed Windows millions of times over the years (building and testing installations for company PC/Laptop's)
    Like all things, the more you do it, the easier it becomes and the quicker you get at doing it. ;)

9. mydave

mydave MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2015
    Hi, I have another question.
    The WSE2012 domain name is Workgroup. It connects to internet fine. But, the Network Connection icon (at the lower right of the screen) shows a yellow warning sign "Workgroup.local No Internet Access".
    I've searching high and low and can't find any explanation about it.
    Please help.

10. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Sorry mate, Don't know what to say about that one.

I do get something like that on one server, it says it can't connect to the network, which is strange as its headless and I only see it when i'm connected via RDC (i.e. over the network :confused:)

11. mydave

mydave MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2015
    #11 mydave, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    (OP)
    Thanks for the attention and the reply. I really appreciated it.
    For an update, I selected the simplest route:
    . Leave the old EX490 WHS connector alone until I can migrate everything to the new WSE2102 server.
    . WSE2012 has its own monitor/keyboard/mouse for the time being.
    . PC's connect to WSE2012 by drives mapping. It works, hallelujah :)
    And the WDTV media players can access both servers, hallelujah again :worthy:
    It has been a pleasure having your attention for a while.
    Best regards,

P.S:
    Video Streaming from the new WSE2012 is MUCH MUCH slower. Any advice to improve is much appreciated.

12. mydave

mydave MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2015
    #12 mydave, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    (OP)
    I have two more questions that I could not find a solution. Did not want to bother you guys here, but please help if you have time to spare:
    1> On the WHS, I created and enabled user 'Dave' which is the same name & pw of an user in WSE2012. But user Dave on WSE2012 cannot map a drive from WHS, error 'user not enabled'. Checked, double checked, triple checked . . . same error. Is there something else that I have to do ? It would be convenient to use WSE2012 to transfer large data from/to WHS. At the moment, I had to use a third computer to move files between the two servers.
    2> The Lenovo TS140 has its own Raid and was enabled. I added an eSata PCIe card (which has its own raid capability but not raid configured). The card showed up fine in the Device Manager of WSE2012. Then I moved a 4-bay storage box, which was connected to USB3 and was configured as storage space, to the new eSata card. WSE2012 showed the storage pool for a few minutes, all files are there, but then the storage pool dis-appeared altogether. Manufacturers of the storage box and the eSata pointed the fingers at each others. Is there anything else I can do to get the storage pool moved from usb3 to esta ?
    Are these dumb questions o_O