No edge browser on Server 2016 RTM?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by charlieny100, Sep 18, 2016.

1. riahc3

riahc3 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    What error did you get? You ran as admin right?

BTW, if you didnt know that was Powershell...you shouldnt be messing with this.

2. Lotusisrael

Lotusisrael MDL Junior Member

Jun 28, 2013
    When I ran the full command in PowerShell, it seemed like nothing at all. Then I ran it in two pieces. After first, nothing again. And, after the second, something: Package not available or package not found, or something like this.

3. MartinicoBreton

MartinicoBreton MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2014
    #23 MartinicoBreton, Oct 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Thank you ! It works fine.

4. o7QhmLuoYocd

o7QhmLuoYocd MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2014
    Why would anyone willingly undermine a Server's stability for a botnet crap browser that has no features or any positive features over competitors whatsoever?

... Please people, if you do run ANYTHING on your server, do NOT mess it up.

5. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    #25 Myrrh, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Lotusisrael

Jun 28, 2013
    #26 Lotusisrael, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    So, Edge browser is present, you say, after running the command in PowerShell. I have got a deny access message. Could you check, please, if the edgehtml.dll in System32 is version 14 or 11? I am not interested in installing just the GUI, without the engine. Actually, I would have preferred to run edgehtml.dll in Internet Explorer, to be able to run ActiveX on it. Edge is capable of running ActiveX, since it is a fork of Internet Explorer. We see this in the fact that Flash Player in Edge is also ActiveX. It is just disabled in its GUI to run any other ActiveX.

7. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

The edge engine is there, no matter if you have edge installed or not.

Whatever about activex what's the point to have it in a modern browser?

Most of currend websites removed the need of such crap (including windows catalog, which now is usable with any decent browser), the rest are old corporate apps that can be accessed by internet explorer. To use those sites edge wouldn't offer any improvement over IE

8. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008

It's assumed the commands are run as admin.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Lotusisrael

Jun 28, 2013
    Oki, so you have only the GUI of Edge, running the IE engine. It should have been 14, not 11, the version of the dll.

10. Lotusisrael

Jun 28, 2013
    #30 Lotusisrael, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    No, it seems the engine is absent. Edgehtml.dll is a phantom dll, mshtml.dll renamed, for compatibility reasons of some kind. All the methods of using edgehtml.dll failed for this reason, What is my Browser website shows IE 11, not Edge 14. The dll version shows clearly 11, not 14, as well. Maybe it was present in Windows 10 Enterprise ltsb RTM, but not anymore. The only way to have Edge would be to copy the dlls from a non-ltsb Windows 10 edition, and I do not want to do that.

11. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Edgehtml.dll is the same in wserver as w10.

The one present in the ISO is v 11.0.14393.0, then it's updated by some KBs and the .0 becomes .67 or whatever.

Websites relies mostly on the UA. If I want I can make to show IE11 using Vivaldi or Opera12 as well

Not needed, but assuming it was needed what the problem is supposed to be? Do you fear you trigger desert storm III because a dll? :biggrin:

12. Lotusisrael

Jun 28, 2013
    It is a principle issue, first. Then, I want to keep my software legal. Soon I will get WS 2016 free from Dreamspark, free and legal. It is a safety thing, mostly. I have managed to symlink mshtml.dll to edgehtml.dll, but sites like What is My Browser showed IE 11. The dll version was 11, I assumed it was a failure. Anyway, you say that, if I run that command in PowerShell as Administrator, I shall be able to download and install Edge.

13. Lotusisrael

Jun 28, 2013
  14. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    So you think you become an "outlaw" just because you replace a provided dll with an older/newer-different version of the same file?:g:

I understand that the legal/illegal concept is personal, especially talking about M$ that built is succes on the so called piracy, but this is really too much.

Whatever... be sure that M$ wants that users use EDGE more badly than any MS fanboy.

It's not included in server, likely, just because they fear unforseen security problems and/or to not disgust the sysadmins.

15. Lotusisrael

Jun 28, 2013
    It makes no sense to me Windows 10 Enterprise ltsb and Windows Server 2016 not having Edge. It is, actually, safer then Internet Explorer 11. I do not see why a sysadmin would be disgusted of Edge. Perhaps of Windows Store and Universal Apps, ok, but not Edge.

16. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Possibly it was due to Microsoft Requiring ActiveX in its catalog. With that requirement gone, and the ability to use the catalog with any browser, there is really no need what-so-ever for Internet Explorer anymore. Edge is much better than IE, and many other browsers. We may see IE removed, and replaced from LTSB in the next iteration of the OS.

17. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

18. Lotusisrael

Jun 28, 2013
    Oki, thanks.