No full VGA out (TV out) through RCA

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by leexus, Oct 7, 2009.

Tags:
  1. leexus

leexus MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2009
    There's no full VGA output to the TV through RCA cabel.
    Only the desktop background shown on the TV screen without icons or Start menu, etc.

Display extension was set up, but there's no option for a 100MHz analog Philips TV as an output.
    The Win key + P combination doesn't works (doesn't affect anything: no flashing screen or something).

The display identifying is available in the Preferences. I can see the No. "1" on my laptop and the "2" on the TV.

It cannot be a driver or cabel problem I guess, something with Win7.

Any idea? Thanks!

Details:
    Toshiba Tecra S1 with ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 & official Ati 'v6476' drivers on Win7 RTM Ultimate

2. Digitalhoward

Digitalhoward MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    This is hardly a suprise if you have set the TV as "Extend my desktop". Try dragging something over there and it should appear. Or set the TV to "Clone" your main display.

3. leexus

leexus MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2009
    I tried the "Clone" option, but unless. :( anything else I could forgot?

Aero is disabled (32MByte video card).
    There's no other option to switch to the TV. (Notebook has a VGA output, but the TV hasn't).

4. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    The TV output is a second desktop.
    You should be able to move your mouse off the left or right edge of your screen and onto the TVs screen.
    You can then drag windows to that side and have them show on the TV.

5. leexus

leexus MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2009
    no, it doesn't work.

the only thing I want to do with this RCA TV out, to see movies from notebook on the TV screen.

6. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Win+P works for me and I don't even have my second monitor or a TV attached.
    Maybe it's possible your PC cannot support it... You've only got 32MB of Video RAM.

I believe that means you have two separate desktops that work independently of each other and should be able to move windows from Desktop 1 (Laptop) to Desktop 2 (TV).

Right Click the Desktop and go to Screen Resolution
    -- Do you see both of your Displays pictured near the top?
    -- If so, can you move them around? Also, what side is #2 on?
    -- From the Display drop down, can you select your TV?

7. RobsTV

RobsTV MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2009
    #7 RobsTV, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
    might be the drivers

Have ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 on HP laptop. But have mine set in Bios to 128 meg. Many reports about the Mobility Radeon 9000 drivers having issues. Most give BSOD on reboot. Google I think the 9250 drivers and after some searching, you will find drivers that work for multi-monitor with Win 7 without the BSOD. Still won't do Aero though, but might solve your problem.

edit: XDDM drivers used in the HP show in device manager as:
    8/15/2006

Once you find them, you must install manually through device manager.

Several ways to use multi-monitor. (TV as a monitor)
    Clone, which is same desktop on both.
    Extended, which gives you more desktop are via other monitor.
    Switching, which only shows one moniter, (either one) as Primary,
    Many video apps only work if monitor is set as primary, extended will not work for video (video drivers sometimes have a mode that shows full screen video on 2nd, but not with your old chip).
    I suggest you try simply switching monitors (or swapping), only having one actively working at a time.

8. leexus

leexus MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2009
    Yes, it works with the 6.14.10.6606

THANX!!

leexus