No, Microsoft is not spying on you with Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by symb, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    In before the BIN!!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. eemuler

eemuler MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2015
    What gets my goat is that when you play a media file - video or audio - the list of all the media files in that folder is uploaded to M$. That is very worrying. I have movies and music accumulated over the past 20+ years that I have been using computers. Most of it was legally obtained, but the original discs have long since been trashed so I can't prove ownership.

What is one to do? Boot off a Linux live CD or USB whenever you want to watch or listen to your media files?

3. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Install Linux and be done with it !

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
  5. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Who really coined that term?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

6. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Addicted

Jul 18, 2015
    Thread title is delusion to believe. No more needs said.

7. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    tell that to any goverment. They wont renew their contract with m$.

8. XOR

XOR MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2010
    Do you refer to the WMP or the Inventory Collector?

9. .org

.org MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2015
    snake oil

urban dictionary = comes from the 19th-century american practice of selling cure-all elixirs in traveling medicine shows.

if memory serves me right on mdl i think the term snake oil was 1st used by a member called fallen999 way back in 2010.

although mr. paul desmond has the sole copyright to use the term on mdl as often & as extensively as possible :D

10. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #50 Smorgan, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    We need to take you to the asylum of stop being a paranoid idiot. If I had it my way every single privacy focused thread that is not stickied would be deleted or locked.

The drama is still playing out like an opera that has not reached its crescendo. The crazies are still coming out in force saying the keylogging is there and that fear mongering should happen. They will rejoice at the amount of confusion being caused. However when the word "linux" is pointed out. People will say ooo that takes too much effort because it has a learning curve. Let me ask you are you hear to bitch and complain or are you here to learn?

11. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Addicted

Jul 18, 2015
    #51 mrbbq, Aug 30, 2015
    The sad fact is that to say Microsoft isn't spying *IS* delusion at this point.
    However it is also paranoid and delusional when people claim that after adjusting all the settings, applying the blocking tricks, preventing all the services involved from running or at least ever connecting, it is still somehow magically going on.

The actual data people can log going in and out supports this - by default it is sending out large amounts of info- as we have to admit Microsoft say. It also supports that after heavy tweaking and aggressive blocking, that data is no longer going anywhere.

By default, the thread title is wrong. Post tweak/block/etc, it is correct, but only because people have taken the time to prevent it doing so.

12. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Paranoia has superseded logic. This technical pursuits of the forum have failed and given way to fear as people piss their pants. They run around like chickens thinking o crap what do we do. Well first everyone goes nuts and posts a crap ton of s**t. Then everyone thinks well now we need answers so they flood all the other threads. Then we get to the point we are at now. Where everyone is being dumbed down because of it. Those who know what to do think well we can do this. It makes perfect sense but they get told no because it would require a learning curve.

13. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Please stay on topic, guys. #51 and #52 is fine, please go on like this. Tell what you think and feel without insulting or going completely OT. Thanks.

14. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Addicted

Jul 18, 2015
    It's the same problem with any paranoid conspiracy. They'll never take the time to read or accept or even look at anything which would explain why they are being paranoid fantasists. Then they'll scream about "research" they have read that feeds their delusion, and cling to it even when basic applying of scientific method would show them it is wrong, and why.

You just can't help them.

EDIT: Posted before the above and my last word on the matter.

15. roga

roga MDL Member

Aug 12, 2015

You are monitoring the traffic to see your blocking works.
    But are you monitoring 24/7? Did you blink when Windows sent the keylog off?
    Is it sending data off using svchost, disguised as something else?
    Even if nothing is sent off, how do you know Windows is not logging your activity locally in stealth? One automatic update to override your firewall and off that data goes.
    It is not paranoia, it is accepting the fact that Microsoft will get your data if it wants to, and there is nothing you can do about it.

16. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @mrbbq: And when I said this in a post a month back, you called Me delusional. And You insulted a number of other members here. So then, I take it you are changing your stance on the whole MS data collection thing?

Understand this. It's not the message that you are delivering, it's the way that you deliver it.

I think We've learned that insulting a person who is asking a legitimate question based on their fears makes Us no different than the "Spin Doctors" who are covering up the truth from the onset.

I admire those who have chosen to answer the OP in a respectable fashion. :)

:MJ

17. MysTikAL3

MysTikAL3 MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2013
    #57 MysTikAL3, Aug 30, 2015
    You're correct and I agree...
    But I will add, that after all the numerous man hours of locking it down and 'twerking' 10, so that it's no longer sending massive amounts of your data to M$, what you have left is a virtually useless pile of junk OS that simply won't ever be stable and function in real world applications.
    And let's not forget that MS can and will blow all these tweaks/blocks wide open with a simple forced update/upgrade.
    Does anyone really want to use a system they have to monitor, tweak, watch, and worry about 24/7 ???
    Hell no, not me, I have a marriage, family, and kids, a job, home, and a life to live and tend to.

Free or not, I have no time for screwing around with this data mining, privacy destroying piece of garbage, that M$ is peddling to the world like snake oil...:rolleyes:
    :)

18. Vico

Vico MDL Junior Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Solution?...is there one?

19. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    "Lord, grant Me the serenity to accept the things that I can't change,
    The courage to change the things I can,
    And the Wisdom to know the difference between the two."

In a nutshell...

:MJ

20. winbond

winbond MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    he provided the solution