No more Office Word

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bertmace, Aug 12, 2009.

1. bertmace

bertmace MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    #1 bertmace, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  2. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Sounds kind of far-fetched... And no link to the story?
    Pardon me while I remain skeptical.

3. Bagheera

Bagheera MDL Member

Jul 21, 2009
    x2........

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    #6 Lenmaer, Aug 12, 2009
    Who knows maybe you'll get "Office U" bundled with OpenOffice, like we should have gotten "Windows E".

5. bertmace

bertmace MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Money will fix it all LOL!

6. thenjduke

thenjduke MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Microsoft Money that is :) Version 200 Billion

7. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    this is a real tricky suit. Stuff like this needs a new type of judge and system where people understand the matter at hand. I am not saying judges are stupid but a lot of times things like this where you are talking about a system within a system that is an open format is over their heads.

For a judge to say "You can't sell Word" is stupid, but at the same time for the company in question to not be able to defend their IP would also be detrimental.

8. Mr_MKE

Mr_MKE MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2009
    And it's only 'A' judge and he can be overturned. They may have to remove the XML portion out, or rewrite it but they WILL be selling word. I'd bet money, lots of it, on that fact. :)

9. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    I think that the whole patent-regulations must be revamped.
    For me it is silly to patent something that is used in an Open-Source format.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. tom.slick

tom.slick MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2008
    all the office downloads on technet are disabled

11. will5

will5 MDL Senior Member

Jun 21, 2007
    I think that MS could sell "Office WOW" (WithOuthWord), but lot of people will come to this forum with no aparently reason :D

12. tom.slick

tom.slick MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2008
    okay so now the downloads are working again

13. sunnybear

sunnybear MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2009
    this just temperorily....and it only happens in US....

14. jkh334

jkh334 MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    They cant do that too many businesses and schools know and use MS Word-its gotta be the #1 used word processing program. I actually thought it would have been Corel Word Perfect suing if anybody since I believe they were actually first.

15. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #19 HotCarl, Aug 12, 2009
    +1

Dumbest thing I have seen all day...
    Basically: "...you can't sell Office 2007 (since it contains Word in its present form) in the US anymore (due to a *Canadian* company; what about Canada? ROFL); yes, the same office suite that has probably already been installed on hundreds of thousands of PCs worldwide, and has been widely purchased by consumers already and pirated just as much...(so does it even matter?)" ROFL. If anything, MS will just pay off Canadian company i4i, or buy them. I foresee a nice sum of money headed i4i's way...
    That is how the world works unfortunately, if your business is suffering (in all honesty, how many people besides me and a hand-full of others have actually heard of i4i??) then file a patent infringement lawsuit. It was well known to these so-called "hand-full" of people that I mentioned earlier that i4i held the patent on XML (i4i did not call it "XML" when they patented it originally, but that does not matter)...they held the patent silently all this time and waited until it best suited them to file a lawsuit. Such B.S.

...another word comes to mind (actually a few) and that is "gold-digger". "Pathetic" is another. I now despise i4i's shady business tactics more than I do MS. Congrats i4i, you just made yourself look like asses in my book.

This is so stupid. ...and only in Texas of course.

16. mason092

mason092 MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    This is the stupidest thing I have seen all week. How can a company have a patent on XML? MS will probably pay them off, or they will appeal this or counter-sue or whatever it is that they need to do (I'm not lawyer!) I'm guessing the former, but MS has enough money to pay them and be done with it.