No more Office Word

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bertmace, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Mtthwpez

Mtthwpez MDL Junior Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Its an american thing, why earn money like normal companies when you can sue a big one and get it that way! :D

2. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    fsck -fy /mnt/microsoft/patent-violation/copyright/BS #lawlllllllllllllllllllllllllll

its time to get rich, invent something new and and not mostly used and hardly known and patent it, keep mum and them boom, loadsaaaaaaaaaa moneyyyyyyyyyyyyy...... shortcut to rich and famous and success and big car and loads of credit cards and hot chicks?
    nah! never mind, i rather stick to good'ol pete's sake be a hard working linux guy. beside hard work pays more even tho financially its less.
    so like some company tag line "what's next?" and some shoe company "next is what?" like office word, vista and windows 7 also uses based text formatting. filename.ms-xrm which is top to bottom xml, and M$ stripping off vista E, vista N & vista K, we will have office E/N/K and windows 7 E/N/K?
    and well frankly i am a little delighted too because no matter what M$ tries to find fault with linux and bsd and open source cliaming that as theirs, take powershell which is a total rip off of ksh and bash and then patent IT. i mean when you steal so much and little guy wanna be the software monopoly leaders "hasta payyyyyy loddaaaaaaa shiyatttttttt." good i made the right choice, i switched to full time linux in 2002 from dual boot from 1999-2001 and windows 95 as single boot till 1999.
    well, my move was not wrong. Linux is the future, it lets you breathe free, well? SCO its been well taken care off ages ago, but as usual SCO is a hard headbent A-Class groin moron. now let opensource run the show.
    hahaha, we win we win. opensource win. "all your windows software now belongs to patent violation." so? --> go opensource --> this way. yeah its the right choice.

3. BubuXP

BubuXP MDL Member

Jul 21, 2009
    all your windows are belong to us
    :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Tjub

Tjub MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2009
    Please format your things properly for the forum...
    That was almost impossible to read.

5. MCGamer

MCGamer MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Normally I don't criticize posts, but..
    You are absolutely wrong.
    1: IF this ruling passes, which I doubt will happen, M$ will get around it.
    2: IF this ruling passes, M$ can no longer SELL Word, which means that they can include it for free with an OS package.
    3: IF this ruling passes, anyone can still download a real copy of Office with Word in it, considering Office 2007 is out, and a 2010 Beta is out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    ok here is the deal with this:

an injunction has been filed and MS is allowed to sell word until this suit goes to court.

This is not a company that is trying to get rich, MS basically put these guys out of business with the advent of Office 2003, and the way it handles XML. The party in question had a product they were working with MS to work in conjunction with word, but MS decided that why use a product that works for something when we can make a product with somewhat reduced functionality that does that same exact thing.

If this ruling passes it will probably mean any copies of office that are still in mainstream support will get a patch to take this functionality out or MS will just give these people a ton of cash to make them go away.

7. RawData

RawData MDL Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Did the company even try to defend their patent... or did they just wait for suitable moment to cash in? :confused:

Oh... what a weird and wonderful world of patents... :rolleyes:

8. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    They will probably settle with and then buy the company in question, then fire all the management.

9. kocoman

kocoman MDL Senior Member

May 16, 2007
    What does this mean, it means we can't open docx documents anymore?

10. beachbum88

beachbum88 MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2009
    o rly.. thats interesting

11. pezzonovante

pezzonovante MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Of course we can still use *.docx files. But there's a special XML feature which will be disabled. I have never used this XML feature and I hear it's pretty rare anyways. So nothing to worry about.

12. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    Yeah it is not even in Office 2010 and I don't notice any sort of missing functionality. They are coming out with a new version to go on sale the day after the injunction takes effect so there won't be any disruption in sales of Office 2007

I don't think any existing copies will be affected.

13. RedSpider

RedSpider MDL Junior Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Current information on this issue can be found on Google News in the Sci/Tech section today. Microsoft already has a patch available.

14. kocoman

kocoman MDL Senior Member

May 16, 2007
    There's no link to download the patch?

15. RedSpider

RedSpider MDL Junior Member

Oct 13, 2009