No more Windows 8 key to activate Windows 8.1 ???

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by free1975yuly, Mar 31, 2014.

1. ljimbo

ljimbo MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2010
    did a clean install just yesterday using Upgrade key i bought during Win 8 release.
    Used EI.cfg to skip initial serial (no need for generic key using this method)
    at the Black screen asking for serial you put the Windows 8 key (Upgrade definately works here!!!)
    Complete install and check Activation.. works perfectly for me every time ;)

2. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    That's exactly I had few days ago... After removing a RAID 0 array where Win8 + Win8.1 upgrade installed, I use a Windows 8.1 downloaded ISO from forum link. After installing on my new SSD I was facing with the same problem, Win 8.1 won't activate , and then I realized I downloaded a wrong version .. VL instead of Retail.
    Grab the right version and voila, activated without a glitch, and applied then my WMC free key later.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Yesterday I was "updating" my Laptop with starting the setup from within running Windows 8.1 from USB Stick (en_windows_8.1_with_update_x64_dvd_4065090.iso) and all went well. Was need to use the generic 8.1 P-Key for setup, my original is an Windows 8 Pro Retail Key bought from MS Promotion. The setup was need nearly 2 hour but ALL works, not missing a single file or apps.

After the setup was don, I was going to the Computer properties and Windows were NOT activated any more. I just clicked on Activate Windows now and had to key in my old Windows 8 P-Key, 1 minute later it were say All Done. Refreshed the Computer properties and now Windows were normally activated. I wasn't need to go to the Command Prompt etc, just use the simple activation process from within Computer Properties!

Maybe the differences is that I use original and licensed Software only because I use my Laptop for Customer Services etc. and not have any illegal stuff on that machine. If someone has problem with activation using Windows 8 P-Keys which he/she/her legally owned, than there would be a problem with the used software for that installation!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I decided to not use anymore my Windows 8 key to activate 8.1...I just activated W8.1 update 1 using Cody's tool and when I installed Office 2013 VLC I got activated Office automatically:D:D:D

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That's called: KMS Activation, each good for up to 180 day's!

And your post also means that you installed the VL Version instead of Retail?!