NOD32 2.7.3* / Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sideskroll, Nov 20, 2009.

1. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
  2. ioniancat21

ioniancat21 MDL Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Just to add.............

I've used NOD32 v2.7 and also had similar issues with it using it with Windows 7 here and there, which prompted me finally to upgrade to v.4.0.468. I will say that it was hard to let go, however the protection provided by the newer version is superior to v2.7's engine, especially against drive-by's and the more stealthy attacks. My advice would be to bite the bullet and take a chance like I did and upgrade 1 machine to test for yourself.

I've also seen users meet this road halfway like my friend did, installing v3.0, as it has a mildly lighter footprint, although I don't particularly notice the difference. I hope this helps!!!

3. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
  5. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    I know - just introducing some different perspectives to people recommending this or that over everything else. The biggest threats to anyone these days is identity theft - malware, viruses etc may cause some headaches but most of the AVs get them.

But a trojan or a keylogger or similar exporting, for example, your banking details is a major problem and most of the so-called "big guns" of internet security failed these leak tests miserably.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. M3TAL_L0RD

M3TAL_L0RD MDL Junior Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Those are both ESET.
    One is ESET NOD32 Antivirus and other is ESET Smart Security.

7. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Of which NOD32 isn't one of them, so your comment before was totally misplaced, rosco.

NOD32 is very recommendable.
    ESET is not. But he was talking about NOD32.

If you want to give some perspective, it has to be right, or you'll misinform ppl.

8. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    They are NOT the same thing.
    One is NOD32 STANDALONE AV. AV alone.
    The other is a SUITE, with AV + FW + Malware agent.

Matousec focusses on the FW and malware protection of ESET and other suites.

AV-comparatives focusses on AV protection alone.

THOSE ARE TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS.

ESET is bad BECAUSE OF it's bad FW protection.
    (it's AV protection by itself though is good)
    That's why NOD32 AV (STANDALONE) is good, as is shown in av-comparatives.com

I have been going into this discussion for a long time now, but ppl just will not take some very EASY facts into consideration.
    Figure it out for yourselves, cause I'm getting sick of this.

byebye

9. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #49 Rosco, Nov 26, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
    If NOD32 provided protection against malware that leaks your info to the rest of the world the part of ESET suite that is the NOD32 AV component would not have failed the leak test by detecting potentially malicious behaviour.

A false positive is a minor annoyance compared to inaction.

Surely most AV products are designed to detect potentially malicious behaviour.

The fact that other so called premium suites fail here shows that their AV components are not as good as they are cracked up to be.

10. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Then read up on the matousec site, and what it actually is they test.
    Don't think u understand that they mostly test for outbound threats, keyloggers and self-defence. From the site :

Virus threats are NOT tested in particular by matousec. They ARE on the other hand tested by AV-comparatives. Hence the different results. Please do compare them. So the AV part of ESET suite DOES work very well. But you have to understand that will be virus threats ONLY. Other malware and FW protection (which includes outbound threats, keyloggers, trojans and self-defence) is not so good. As a standalone AV, Nod32 gets very good scores, but that's because it will ONLY defend against virus threats, and NOT the things that are hammered in 9 different levels by matousec.

So eset will fail tests, but nod32 will NOT. Simply because they are both very different in WHAT they protect you against.

Jesus christ, ppl, there have been about 987 threads about this same topic in the past months.

In stead of repeating it a thousand times, just read what has allready been posted more than enough.

AV-comparatives and matousec test different things, that's the results differ. one is about allround protection, incl FW and malware, the other is just about virus protection.
    Those are facts, not beliefs.

11. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    AV products claim to have hueristic analysis - its how they intercept suspicious looking code - and what is more suspicious than an unknown program trying to send data out from your computer.

If any AV program doesn't see this behaviour then I suggest it should.

12. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    If they did, then there was no need for Defence+ in FW's, nore for other malware protection. But those things come with all suites. Now why is that ?
    And why is Defence+ in FW's so effective then ?

The heuristic analysis in AV's don't incorporate all those things. You may claim they do.
    Think about it.

13. woznme

woznme MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009

nod 2.7 killed my all my steam games.. corrupts the files... don't use 2.7 on win7. it MAY look like its working fine but it isn't

14. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Ppl better start taking the advise I have posted a million times :cool:

15. sideskroll

sideskroll MDL Junior Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Hi, and thanks for all your responses. Sadly It seems I need to upgrade to version 4 so... I guess I should...
    Thanks again.

16. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
  17. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    #58 genuine555, Nov 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  18. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #59 Rosco, Nov 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  19. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    No need to get upset.:rolleyes:
    Just want to show you the response from matousec themselves, which clearly says NOD32 isn't to be regarded the same as ESET suite. But still you can't accept that.:confused:
    Has nothing to do with any cencorship what so ever. I think you'd rather roll over and die :p instead of just excepting that matousec's results don't apply for the standalone AV's.

I tried to stay polite and objective all the way, and present you with the hard facts only, leaving out my own beliefs. You've done nothing but trying to create a hastle, even when presented with a statement by the group that released those results.

I'm sick of ppl getting angry with me for just presenting them with the truth.
    So I think it's wise for a mod to close this. This has gone far enough.