Norton Ghost 15 or Acronis True Image Home 2012 ???

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by rlaby, Jul 24, 2012.

1. rlaby

rlaby MDL Novice

Jun 30, 2011
    Which one is better? Which one you recommending for WIN 7? I have encrypted partition with BitLocker and I read that the N.Ghost doesn't support BitLocker encrypted drives... Is the same situation with Acronis?
    Until now I was using N. Ghost but more people using and recommending Acronis...
    How is your expirience with this tools?

2. Merzhin

Merzhin MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2009
    Acronis True Image Home 2012 is not compatible with Windows 8...:waycon1:

3. rlaby

rlaby MDL Novice

Jun 30, 2011

haha, yes I know that.... :)

4. Kipper

Kipper MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2012
    Acronis 2013 beta is Win 8 compatible and available to sign up with Acronis for the testing now.

5. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Norton Ghost 15 has not been updated for many years. Even if it was, it is no match for Acronis, especially the free edition for various hard disks which does all the main jobs without the frills.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    I've liked the corporate version of Norton Ghost, which the latest version is called Symantec System Recovery 2011 (v10.0.1.41704) unless they've updated recently. As usual with their corporate products, you can request trial from Symantec with a free account. Haven't tried IFW, I've thought about it before, though. I found Symantec products to work much more professionally and reliably than Acronis, and much easier to make WinPE CDs of Symantec products.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. emerica243

emerica243 MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2010
    Id have to say Acronis is top dog

8. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    ive used Acronis for a few years now and never had any problems and its easy to use, i have an ssd and three other hard drives plus an external 2 terabyte usb3 i back up to one of my hard drives and my usb3 drive- i know its over kill but i have had drives fail :eek:

9. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    I have a license for Acronis True Image 2012 and 2011. I use 2011 as I find it is better and 2012 has nothing extra that benefits me apart from that stupid online backup which you have to pay extra for

10. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    In fact it is called Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 2.5 and it was not updated for years. Out of the whole suite there are only few single executables that are of any interest

Massive advantage of Ghost Server is that so far it is the only multicast solution I have seen. So one can blast the image to 100's of machines in one go

sebus

11. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Regardless of the above posts, I use ATIH WD Edition and that works fine in win 8 for backup and restore. This is without applying any compatibility settings at all. Plus it is free.

12. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    The above version is the one I use which works on GPT and windows 8. In fact this version came out in July 2011 although the date posted in May 2012. The linked download is the one I use and it is called ATIH 2010 WD Edition (build 14157)
    I also have the older ATIH 2010 WD which works on win 8 but does not detect GPT disks.

13. TheFro

TheFro MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    I have been using Paragon

paragon-software.com/business/hdm-professional/

Between its PE env and its GPT ability... its pretty hot... other features include windows migration ( driver injection ) ... life saver when going from dead PC to a live one with a different disk controller.... also works with most virtual hard drives...

14. 6enii

6enii MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2012
    Acronis is far better.

15. vinodh

vinodh MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    How is it better? Just making a statement that its better without clarifying how or why its better isn't very helpful.

16. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    I assume the poster means more widely used, and then seen by many to be better. Have not used norton, but acronis is a very good software.

The poster should of stated if he or she had used both.

But like me many will just have used acronis, and it works very well.

17. vinodh

vinodh MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    I have used both software packages several times over the years and they are both excellent in what they do. However, if i'm going to recommend one over the other, on a public forum, I will explain why one package is better than the other.

Making a statement without properly explaining why is pointless, not helpful to others reading the thread, and points towards either a lack of knowledge or an unwillingness to contribute to this forum.