Notebook with Windows 8, need help on legacy BIOS!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Tr4il, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Tr4il

Tr4il MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2012
    Hello,

First thread here, so let's get to it.
    We recently bought an Aver V3-571G. It's a Windows 8 notebook, and it works great.
    The problem is that my dad used our old laptop to connect to his work server, and work from home.
    He wanted to do the same with this one, but it's not working. He has a little USB drive that has a bootable linux install on it, and he needs to boot of that. That doesnt work with the Acer UEFI bios, only if I switch it to Legacy bios. But if I do that, Win8 doesnt boot anymore! Is there any solution to this?

Thanks!

PS. My english is not the best, sorry for any stupid grammatical error's or anything.

2. Tr4il

Tr4il MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2012
    Thanks for the reply! Is there any other solution other than reinstalling the Linux drive?
    It's not the easiest is it?

3. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    The way I see it you have a few options .. If ? this is true "Some BIOSes allow one to set up the boot mode for the optical drive separately from the boot mode for the HDD." then you could just make a portable version of the OS with all you need on it .. Otherwise you could convert the Linux drive as is in the guide FaiKee gave you the link to .. !st though I would make sure you are familiar with the best recovery scenario you have for the main OS (W8) and backup ..

4. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    #5 FaiKee, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
    The other thing you can do is go into BIOS and disable secure boot then set to CMS (legacy boot), then you can boot into the linux, and you need to do the other way round when you want to boot into win8. And I don't know if the linux could read the win8 files located in GPT partition. :D

Nobody had been able to put a uefi boot with mbr boot in one single boot menu(let alone put them together in one HDD), you could forget about it, at least for the moment. :p

5. Tr4il

Tr4il MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2012
    Ok, well, thanks! I'll look into it!

6. phailyoor

phailyoor MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Why not just reinstall windows under legacy bios mode? You're going to have to reinstall one of them.