nsane forums

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by marchy, Sep 20, 2016.

1. marchy

marchy MDL Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Anyone know whats going on with it and when it will be back up?

thx

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. marchy

marchy MDL Member

Jul 24, 2016
  4. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. marchy

marchy MDL Member

Jul 24, 2016
  6. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    As usual, I learn the existence of a place from the announcement that it's closed.

7. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    dude remember that here is MDL right ;)

8. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Actually, it's to the credit of MDL that does not ban the posting of other boards, even competing ones. As a rule, this is not allowed elsewhere.

On a certain warez board, once I received a warning for posting the link to an article which at some place mentioned another board as the source. I hadn't noticed it beforehand, thought it was harsh because I hadn't posted the other board directly, and have since stopped participating on the said warez board.

9. marchy

marchy MDL Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Does anyone know if it will ever be back online again?

10. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    This source says that the domain expires August 25, 2017 (11 months left). So it will probably be back. If you want a better answer, check if they have a blog with info. If it's that good, I'll probably join it, if it comes back.

http://web.horde.ws/***********.com

11. pc71520

pc71520 MDL Junior Member

Feb 12, 2013
    I am not the one who created the Thread.
    Why did you pick only me? :confused:

12. marchy

marchy MDL Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Show me where the person "PICKED" on you? o_O

13. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    Not so much picking on you as reminding you and everybody else here that warez are strictly prohibited.

By the letter of the MDL by-laws, both marchy and I are guilty, but marchy posed an innocent question as to whether a web forum was working or not.

I responded by showing him where the status was listed.

And Tiger-1, being a seasoned veteran of MDL, pointed out to -ALL- of us that posting a link was breaking the rules.

Perhaps he should not have quoted you, but you are a new member here.

Enjoy your stay. :)

14. pc71520

Feb 12, 2013
    #14 pc71520, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    Here ;)

Given the fact that I didn't start this Thread. :confused:
    Anyway...To comply with the Rules, I erased my Post. :cool:

BTW, the respective site:shutup: is accessible again. :cap::clap3::yeahyeah::mml::yeah:

15. beamslider

beamslider MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2010
    The Site is back up today. No explanation on the site of what happened.

16. pc71520

Feb 12, 2013
    The site is Offline again...

17. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    It has been argued above that the OP has violated the rule about posting warez or links to them.

As this is a Chit Chat section, I don’t think any harm is done if we unofficially discuss whether the mere mention of a warez board constitutes a violation of the rules. Lawyers might argue about this endlessly.

Now, it may be inferred that the mere fact that mods have allowed this thread to continue indicates that it’s probably not against the rules. But of course this inference could be faulted. And since I happen to be idle at the moment, I’d like to present the following arguments against.

So the rule actually says:
    “No warez or links to warez and no links to cracks.”

Firstly the mere mention of the name of a board without linking to it or even providing its full URL (which could have one of several endings) is not a link. The reader would have to build the link himself by guessing and trying. Would the OP be held responsible for what a reader may choose to do himself?

Secondly, even actually linking to a warez board (which is NOT the case here) still does not constitute a direct link to warez, but to a place, where there are not links but topics, in some of which topics there are, among other, links to warez. Thus, any linking is so to speak second or more like third generation. Would a second generation son be held guilty for crimes of the father?

Consequently, I provisionally contend that the OP did not himself break the relevant rule. And I have not even invoked the fact that the board named was inoperative at the time of posting.

18. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    The nsane URL was blocked during the release of Windows 8 because of the stolen Windows keys and the fact that we've received DMCA takedown notices for linking to such things in the past.

You can discuss the website all you like, but linking to it won't work.

19. marchy

marchy MDL Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Daz, Will it be back up or do u see it staying down permanently? thx for the heads up.

20. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Will nsane be back? It was online yesterday, so I'm sure it'll be back again soon. From what I've heard they're having server issues because something isn't configured correctly.

The blocked URL at MDL is a permanent change as we'd rather not have to manually look through dozens of posts.