nvlddmkm.sys driving me MAD!!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Asd12345, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Asd12345

Asd12345 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    #21 Asd12345, Sep 16, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
    (OP)
  2. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    It could also be something wrong with your video card. I had a similar issue on my desktop with an Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX+ and I found that there was something wrong with the VRAM in the card so I got another one for free cause of Warranty. One thing you could try is if your card supports PhysX, set that to CPU instead of GPU. If that works then it works but it would tell you that your card is bad. You can also even try drivers as early as 176.XX for Vista x64 to see if it helps. I can get you the old driver if you like. I would just need to know what your video card is and I can probably help you out. Good luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kristain

kristain MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2010
    This issue is occurring with nvidia's WHQL Certified driver version 175.19 ( I know this because I downloaded it from Nvidia's web site) and its occurring for more than one particular type of video card. In my case its happening on a 7950 GX2.

After installing the new driver and experiencing a crash related to nvlddmkm.sys

Diagnosis

1. after uopdating display driver to 175.19, restart computer, on boot I experienced a crash. Bugcheck indicates display driver nvlddmkm.sys is the issue.
    2. Confirm there is an issue, restart computer and let it boot once more. Same issue occurred. Stop 0x0000007e System Thread Exception Not Handled. looks like a driver bug.
    3. Boot computer into safe mode
    4. Check properties for both 7950GX2 display adapters one is listed as using resources, the other is listed as using none because of an unknown problem; likely a faulted driver.
    5. Initial suspicion is an issue with SLi, both cards need to be active, but on this driver release only one is.
    6. un-install device driver and delete the driver software for the device (this cleans the registry on vista and removes the driver files installed in the system/system32 directories).
    7. Reboot
    8. Successful boot, the driver is deffinitely the issue.
    9. browse local C drive. Open Nvidia folder, open winvista folder. My previous successfully used driver was 169.28, installing.
    10. Restart
    11. Successfully started computer with no issue.
    12. Checking control panel, both display adapters are listed as functioning.

4. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Ok then try another old driver for Vista. Try 176.XX or 178.XX. If those still do not help then your card is probably either over heating or broken.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. SofiaBrown

SofiaBrown MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2010
    You need to find a way to disable these features:

-Enable per-user virtual file and registry.
    -Automatically trigger an eleveation request for setup
    -Switch to the secure desktop to display elevation request for setup programs
    -Programs that access other programs' interfaces must be installed to a secure location