Obtaining windows 7 volume MAK keys

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kd6cae, Oct 21, 2012.

1. kd6cae

kd6cae MDL Novice

May 28, 2012
    Hi all. I'm new here. With windows 8 set to be released to all in less than a week, I have no doubt once that happens, it'll become much harder to purchase windows 7 if one prefers to do so. I personally would love to obtain volume multiple activation licenses for windows 7 while I still can. The reason I'd prefer volume license over normal retail, is that I can know how many activations I have left on the key, something no retail product will allow you to know. I currently have a volume license for windows 7 professional with 5 activations, of which I've used 1 for one of my classes. Does anyone know how I can go about obtaining another MAK volume license key for windows 7? My MSDNAA/dreamspark student account only allows me to order just 1 copy of windows 7 or any other product for that matter. And since Microsoft has in my view made technet virtually useless, I'm not sure if I can purchase a volume license direct from them in any way. If anyone can let me know of ways I can obtain volume license keys for windows 7 professional, I'd be interested. Again it's not that I hate retail channel, its just that I prefer knowing how many activations I have available to me, so for example if a friend's PC needs to be reloaded, I can do so without wondering if activation will be successful. I hope I'm not crazy in asking this question. Thanks.

2. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
  3. kd6cae

kd6cae MDL Novice

May 28, 2012
    I just want to be a legit legal user of windows, but want the flexibility of knowing how many activations I get. I wonder if I can have my dreamspark MAK reset if I've exhausted all 5 activations on it? I'm just curious if I can even obtain a volume license key from microsoft, and how I'd go about doing so. I don't mind paying, if that's what I must do to get a good working mak key. I'll look at that loader thing you mentioned, but I like the idea of a MAK key if I can obtain any more somehow. Thanks

4. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
  5. chrcoluk

chrcoluk MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2011
    I have keys from technet which give 10 activations each ( I was lucky I got my keys when each customer had 10 keys per window version) so I have enough for 100s of machines. If you want to be legit and also get windows 8 keys as well technet might be worth signing up for a year, even tho now you just get 2 keys on the lowest package its still 10 activations per key. Thats 20 unique activations, and thats per windows versions, so 2 for win7 ultimate, 2 for win7 pro and so on, then you also get keys for the N editions as well so 2 win7 N ultimate keys, so 4 ultimate keys not 2. Microsoft wont stop selling win7 keys on win8 launch, its just retail boxed editions and OEM supply that will dry up.

6. kd6cae

kd6cae MDL Novice

May 28, 2012
    I do use the volume activation management tool to see how many activations remain on my win7 MAK key, and it's very handy, and why I love volume MAK keys. You just can't do that with retail. When I had technet back in 2010, I purchased it in June, obtained 3 retail keys I needed for windows 7 at the time, then thought nothing of getting more keys at a later time, since I had 7 remaining, or so I thought. Not even 3 months after I got the subscription, I went back to technet to try and grab another retail win7 key, since that's all I had access to, only to discover Microsoft had made changes, and only now gave technet standard users just 2 keys per product. I wish I'd grabbed all 10 I had access to while I could, but I had no way of knowing they were gonna do that to us paying subscribers! I did grab what keys I could after that though, and I was pleasantly surprised to see my server 2008R2 keys were MAK's with 500 activations on them. This will work out well, because next semester I'm taking a server 2008 class, and my access to dreamspark only gives me one MAK key for server 2008 R2 with just 1 activation on it, I kid you not! It makes no sense, but that's a discussion for another thread. So for sure I'm in the market for win7 pro MAK keys, and I may attempt to try and figure out how to get technet with volume license key access if possible. Does anyone off hand know how many activations a standard retail key that is purchased from microsoft but not technet or MSDN has? I'm guessing it's at least 2 but less than 5, since my volume MAK from dreamspark allows for 5.

7. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    So, I am helping a small biz who has 15-20 machines and will maybe go upto 25/30 in some time.

Most of their desktops/ laptops are OEM bought with a built in variation of XP/ 7 and 8.

I read that Volume MAK licenses is the way for less than 25 machines and not KMS.

I am wondering how/ where could I get an idea of what would a 25 machine Volume MAK license cost?