occasional boot failures

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by potjevleesch, Apr 29, 2016.

1. potjevleesch

potjevleesch MDL Addicted

Aug 7, 2010
    I chose to format as 2 clean installs finished in a mess, dunno why

2. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Ok, then may I ask how old and how much used your SSD is? Maybe it's time to do a secure erase to it. If you haven't already reinstalled everything this is the moment to do so.

I had a coule of ssd heavily used that were prone to unexplicable errors and way slower than a brand new one, that turned exacly like new after the secure erase step.

The drawback is that (obviously) the secure erase will clear everything from your disc, so is better to do so if you mind to format it or if you had it freshly formatted.

3. potjevleesch

potjevleesch MDL Addicted

Aug 7, 2010
    thank you for your interest: ssd is 95 % healthy, 18 months old

4. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Health has relatively little to do with the need of a secure erase.

95% healty means that only 5% of the spare cells were used to replace worn ones.

but you can have a 100 healty SSD that faced heavy traffic in a small timeframe, not enough to wear any cell but sufficient to degrade the performance and to lead to strange errors.

The only way to decide if a secure erase is needed is to compare the performances of a taken disc, with toe ones of a sample disk (say a review online of such disk)

Hdtach, crystal disk mark and alike are the tools that can say something about that.

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #45 LatinMcG, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
    ssd model ? firmware version? (in device manager. details tab of it. drop down menu. . ctrl c the info at bottom)
    other devices in sata ?