Odd problem, DISM and Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by tnx, Nov 27, 2014.

1. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Hi all, I am getting a very odd problem and it is happening all the time and I have no idea what I am doing wrong and why it has suddenly started to happen.

Firstly I have been messing with DISM on Windows 7 adding all the usual stuff for a few years now. Always OK.

Been messing with Windows 8.1 for only a wee while now, also using DISM to do all the usual stuff and have had no bother, then all of a sudden BANG ! Problem.

Let me see if I can explain.

Windows 8.1 image using =
    I have been testing, removing APPs, adding shortcuts, removing This PC Links, all that sort of stuff via DISM. All was going well and results were good.

Now, if I use an untouched install.wim file and install Windows 8.1 ( via USB ) the install runs like clockwork.
    But if I alter the image in ANY way, adding drivers, removing APPs, what ever I test I end up with this error,

I always use the same steps on the install and get the same result.

This one has me baffled. It will not allow me to set up my PC.

Example of one of my DISM scripts

Mount the image

Remove This PC Links

Always quit with "COMMIT"

As far as I can see my scripting is fine. They have all worked in the past and now I get the same error. If I alter one thing or all the things I alter, no difference.

Has anybody come across this before ?

What am I doing wrong ?

Any ideas guys ?

2. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    What I am going to do, is format the USB stick and reload ALL the files onto it including a newly modded install.wim I have just made and see what happens.

It maybe just one of the files has been corrupted in some way ??

:confused:

3. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Well.

I just used a whole new fresh set of files.

I modded the install.wim and removed all apps. Formatted the usb stick and loaded the new files onto it.

Same error.

wow. what the hell is going on.

4. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Well this one got me.

I installed a fresh Windows 8.1 onto a spare drive.
    Used the same iso image, same install.wim file and the same DISM scripts and it worked fine, just like it used to. Now if this means there is summet bad on my OS drive I can not say but one I have the install.wim moddified to my liking I think I will do myself a whole new install on my OS drive.

Strange but sorted now.