OEM Activation 3.0

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by AdFad666, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Windows will probably never have onlineid activation, even if you have to 'link' your key to the ID, this is a high security issue for the 'noob' user, ppl could try hacked account information to activate their windows.. then the windows key for the id gets blocked.. and all this crap... ^^

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. lejohn

lejohn MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2009
    Indeed, the systems need to be activated before they leave the factory.
    Normally the bioses are flashed and HDDs imaged and done.
    In order for to make a unique ID work is still an offline activation like SLIC work now. Otherwise manufactures need to put more time into the production process of their systems and they will not accept that. There will always be a way to bypass this kind of protection, hopefully :)

3. oneextraid

oneextraid MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    One technique could be to use the product registration with the vendor to assign a key based on the service code or serial number from the system. That would validate the hardware and match it to a key, assigned by vendor, which could then be forwarded to MS to qualify for future Genuine Windows checks.

4. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Yep, but then there's a connection between the sn and the key/cert/whatever.
    Probably the key/cert/whatever is then encrypted using some sort of asymmetrical encryption.
    To activate it's then decrypted again with the public key.

BUT the private key of the OEM may never leak, cause if that happens everyone can make his/her own valid key/cert from his/her sn.

It's like a digital signature, if the private key leaks then everyone can moddify files and let them be "authentic".

There's also the same disadvantage as with my batch files. The cert/key has to ge made at the factory, and has to be written to the hdd at the factory. If it happens on the pc at first boot, then the private key has to be somewhere on the hdd and the game is over.

So if they're doing it this way (with certs made at factory) then 1 person needs to leak a private key, and he'll be fired.

Then it's the same as with OEM keys today, they can't blacklist certs made with the leaked private key cause loads of machines have already shipped with them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    It wasnt exactly clear if they force UEFI on OEM's no matter what, sure thing is ARM got UEFI forced on that was clear. But if the OEM does need UEFI on their PC Machines was not clear, its a <requirement> for Drives bigger than 2TB was said. So if the OEM only needs to use UEFI if they have Big drives installed or no matter what... hm.. Though i hope they just force UEFI no matter what on oem's.. it's not a requirement for the enduser. If it were only for Big drives.. oh god they would just use 2TB drives all the way and BIOS.. awful user expirence once again :\ though UEFI seems to go <REAL> mainstream now, so the chance that they would still use BIOS in one year is questionable :)

6. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    They also spoke about faster boottimes with uefi, so probably uefi will be required for the win8 eady stickers.
    Then OEMs have to use it, and if all OEMs use UEFI there's no reasone left anymore not to take advantage of UEFI for OEMact 3.0.

7. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    So you guys got the build (7989) which supposedly has this "3.0" slp schema inside and what? has anyone tried to find out anything concrete?

8. CLoNY

CLoNY MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2009
    good news ,I will try to discover it

9. .NetRolller 3D

.NetRolller 3D MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2009
    Given that UEFI was already required for the Centrino (Santa Rosa) certification, I would definitely expect it to be required for Windows 8 readiness.
    However, I hope Microsoft ditches the "If you use UEFI, you shall hide that fact from the end user" guideline for Windows 8. (This guideline is the reason why so many Santa Rosa machines shipped with crippled/locked-down UEFIs, that could only boot in BIOS emulation mode - think InsydeH2O in Acers.)

10. RichiePops

RichiePops MDL Novice

Jun 22, 2011
    I think only OEMs will be required to use UEFI on new machines just to advance technology. But it should also run on machines with a BIOS; MSFT said it would run on any machine that can run Vista or 7. It would make no sense to say you need UEFI when there's enough power to run it. Either way my laptop has UEFI, so I'll have at least one machine that runs it.

11. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    lol...I got a silver

I'm a champion...lol

silver-medael.jpg

12. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Of couse it will run on BIOS too, there are a lot of potential buyers who don't have UEFI.
    So no BIOS support means less money for MS, and MS always chooses money.

13. BoomerCE

BoomerCE MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2011
    We can use Windows 7 Ultimate retail key to activate 7989 but SLIC 2.1 doesn't work...

14. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    So loaders don't work