OEM Recovery Partition Creator for Windows

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by AnarethoS, Sep 11, 2010.

1. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    and did it work ?
    as i said, if you are thinking about installing a large number of apps, you need to increase the size of recovery partition to a maximum as the image disk will be saved into this partition.

2. NJN

NJN MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2018
    No does not work, but the causes seem many ...
    It was during this installation, that my wife found the solution to not lose everything work done.
    @ +

3. Chibi ANUBIS

Chibi ANUBIS MDL Chibi Developer

Apr 28, 2014
    #3143 Chibi ANUBIS, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    Just tried to use the new 410 with Windows 10 1709 and 1804 and sysprep breaks the user agreement it always says something went wrong and you cannot get to the desktop I'm going back to Windows 8 .1 I don't think we can make recovery partitions like we used to

5. vigipirate

vigipirate MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2011
    contact anarethoS

6. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    Nevermind it was the MRP project that was causing my issues.

7. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    MRP ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. vigipirate

vigipirate MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2011
    Multi-OEM/Retail Project {MRP}

9. RoachemGood

RoachemGood MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2013
    Awesome software! Thank you so much for this brilliant work!

10. RoachemGood

RoachemGood MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2013
    I am to stupid to get the splashscreen to work,anyone can tell me how to enable it?

11. anto2k1

anto2k1 MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2012
    Hi to all, little question...someone have tried to use the RT4.xx with a HDD 3Tb or more?.

I've tried but not working.

A.

12. silekonn

silekonn MDL Junior Member

Mar 5, 2011
    A few ideas for individuals or the codebase. I appreciate the project and provide these as effort to assist. Keep up the good work.

In "Install - Windows 10" the notation should be
    Code:
    ECHO ***********************************
    ECHO Base files were copied successfully
    ECHO ***********************************
    One of the concerns with the SysPrep is the prompt that always appears after restart. If it is clicked or someone leans on the spacebar at the wrong time OOBE begins. It helps to add a small batch to the script or maybe StartUp:

Code:
    ("C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp")
    Close_SysPrep.bat
    taskkill /im sysprep.exe
    Another problem is sleep/lock. Sysprep cannot be logged in after falling back to the login screen ("Account is Disabled"). The High Performance plan turns off sleep and gets things done faster:
    Code:
    PowerCfg_HiPerf.bat
    powercfg.exe /setactive 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

Here are some suggestions for the Settings.ini English language. The main goal is to better differentiate between System Restore and System Recovery.
    [0409]
    LanguageName = English

TextOption1Group = Computer repair
    TextOption2Group = Computer backup

TextOption10 = I want to repair my computer
    TextOption10Help = Different tools to repair and reinstall Windows
    TextOption10Title = Launch the Windows Recovery Environment?
    TextOption10Question = You are about to launch the recovery environment which can help you repair or reinstall Windows.;;Do you want to launch the recovery environment?;;(Your computer will reboot)

TextOption11 = I want to create recovery media for my computer
    TextOption11Help = Allows you to create recovery media for your computer
    TextOption11Title = Launch Recovery Media Creator?
    TextOption11Question = You are about to launch the Recovery Media Creator.;;Recovery media can help you repair or reinstall Windows if your installation becomes unusable. The recovery media can also reinstall Windows on a new drive.;;Do you want to launch the tool?;;(An USB drive will be required)

TextOption12 = I want to revert changes made to my computer
    TextOption12Help = Go back in time to revert changes made to your computer settings
    TextOption12Title = Launch System Restore?
    TextOption12Question = You are about to launch the System Restore tool which can help you revert changes made to your computer, like updates or drivers.;;Do you want to launch System Restore?

TextOption20 = I want to back up my files
    TextOption20Help = Configure file backup
    TextOption20Title = Launch File History?
    TextOption20Question = You are about to launch the File History tool which can help you configure a backup of your important files.;;Regular backups are highly recommended.;;Do you want to launch File History?

TextOptionUsbGroup = Media Creator

TextOptionUsbLine1 = This tool will format a USB drive (max. 32GB) and copy recovery files to it.
    TextOptionUsbLine2 = You will be able to use this USB key to reinstall Windows in the future.
    TextOptionUsbLine3 = WARNING : ALL DATA ON THE USB DRIVE WILL BE LOST!
    TextOptionUsbLine4 = Please select your drive

TextOptionUsbSpaceTitle = Not enough space
    TextOptionUsbSpace = The specified drive is too small. Please use a drive that can hold at least
    TextOptionUsbUnit = GB

TextUsbCreatorStep1 = Preparing drive
    TextUsbCreatorStep2 = Updating recovery tools
    TextUsbCreatorStep3 = Copying recovery files
    TextUsbCreatorStepError = An error occurred. Process aborted.
    TextUsbCreatorStepWaiting = Please wait...

TextRecoveryGroup = Windows repair

TextRecoveryOption10 = Reinstall Windows
    TextRecoveryOption10Help = This will reinstall Windows on the computer
    TextRecoveryOption10Title = Reinstall Windows?
    TextRecoveryOption10Question = This will reinstall Windows on the computer. ;;All data on the primary drive will be LOST! ;;Are you sure you want to continue?

TextRecoveryOption11 = Repair Windows
    TextRecoveryOption11Help = This will launch the repair tools of the computer
    TextRecoveryOption11Title = Repair Windows?
    TextRecoveryOption11Question = This will launch the Recovery Environment tools to help you repair Windows. ;;Continue?

TextRecoveryStep1 = Preparing drive
    TextRecoveryStep2 = Copying files
    TextRecoveryStep3 = Installing windows
    TextRecoveryError = An error occurred. Process aborted.
    TextRecoveryWaiting = Please wait...

TextRecoveryDoneTitle=Recovery Completed
    TextRecoveryDone=Recovery completed. ;Please remove the recovery drive.

Another personal preference, I appreciate reminders before SysPrep. Might not be a bad idea to minimally remind using the password script, disconnecting/restarting for pending updates, etc.
    IF NOT EXIST C:\Recovery\OEM\ResetConfig.xml GOTO MISSINGFILES

ECHO ---------------
    ECHO Custom Add 1of1
    ECHO ---------------
    START /WAIT C:\Windows\Notepad.exe C:\Recovery\SysPrep_Checklist.txt

It requires "SysPrep_Checklist.txt" created/placed correctly. If anyone wants my list items please notify me.

Here are a few shortcuts to keep for troubleshooting:
    C:\Recovery\OEM\ScanState\amd64\scanstate.log (or x86)
    C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\Panther

One problem with the current version. I install backup software and utilize the pre-boot options. Sysprep.cmd restarted the system and the backup software's pre-boot had taken the default menu position. The system booted to the backup software. Upon restarting, 'Capture' was the second option in the O. S. choices. Everything succeeded with one selection of Capture and first boot had Windows 10 defaulted.

Thank you again for putting your time in this great project.

13. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    @silekonn It's no problem having sysprep running. And if you do shutdown accidentally instead or restart & get "account disabled", just restart or shutdown holding shift. It will get back into Audit.
    If you don't want Audit & sysprep running then change the unattend to login as Administrator.. You can set power options too...
    I recon if it ain't broke then no need to fix..

14. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Simply put the desired JPG image in the same folder as teh menu file.
    In Windows 10, it would be in C:\Recovery\OEM\Menu

Then edit the settings.ini file from the same folder

and set :
    LogoFile=File name
    LogoWidth=Width in pixel
    LogoHeight=Height in pixel
    LogoTime=Duration of the splahe image, in seconds. 0=disabled

Example :
    LogoFile=MyLogo.jpg
    LogoWidth=400
    LogoHeight=200
    LogoTime=3

15. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    @silekonn
    Thans for your input.
    I made a copy of you "settings.ini" file. I will look at it during the next update.
    For the rest, I will probably not include that in my tools.
    For the account which is disabled, I alway "enable" the Admin account from "Computer Management" on firt boot.
    I will make a note to check if I can do that with the AutoUnatted.xml file by default.
    Thanks!

16. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Hi everyone.

I update the "Required files" package with 1803 files.

Nothing else has changed.

17. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
  18. AlbertoCastillo2001

AlbertoCastillo2001 MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2012
    #3159 AlbertoCastillo2001, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Hi

Interesting. If you are in audit mode and then run sysprep yourself (not using the OEM Recovery tool) do the applications disappear as well?)

And, if using the Recovery Tools, as I read in the documentation, will those apps disappear as well? Seems you can use a ppkg file. I used your software in the past but with Windows 7 and 8.1( in fact, I remember providing a solution here on this forums years ago to ensure the CD key is not lost and asked again during OOBE). Things changed a lot on Windows 10 apparently. I will keep reading the documentation.
    Thanks

19. AlbertoCastillo2001

AlbertoCastillo2001 MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2012
    #3160 AlbertoCastillo2001, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Hello

I have seen a few things when reading the scripts and the documentation

UEFI recommended/UEFI recommended with data partition:
    No Autounnatend.xml file there
    Best seems to use default, recovery partition is better at the beginning imho, so it's ok

According to documentation in step 4.45 (page 25)
    OOBE-Custom.cmd, should we use this to install driver software/apps like panels and such? Or are those stored in a PPKG as explained before?

Code:
    ECHO *****************************
    ECHO Capturing softwares
    ECHO *****************************
    C:
    CD \
    CD Recovery
    CD OEM
    CD ScanState
    CD %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%
    scanstate.exe /apps /config:C:\Recovery\OEM\ScanState\%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%\Config_AppsAndSettings.xml /ppkg C:\Recovery\Customizations\Recovery.ppkg /o /c /v:13

Does this capture all software or just what is specified on Config_AppsAndSettings.xml?

Sysprep.cmd:
    Following the :capture section, the WIM image seems to be saved on C:\Recovery\OEM
    Doesn't that break the purpose of the recovery? The user can delete it accidentally and the image will convert itselfto a push reset one

As far as I have seen, the :capture section seems to store the image on Capture.wim, but the DeleteImage.cmd file deletes Install.wim
    is this a typo? Or is this file created or renamed at some point?