OEM Recovery Partition Creator for Windows

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by AnarethoS, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Chibi ANUBIS

Chibi ANUBIS MDL Chibi Developer

Apr 28, 2014
    Yeah, can support x86

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Gazer022

Gazer022 MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2015
  3. vigipirate

vigipirate MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2011
    no virus faux positif ?

4. prasanta

prasanta MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2018
    hi. my laptop has 250gb ssd and 1Tb hdd. the ssd is disk 1 on which i want to install win10 with recovery tools and keep the Hdd untouched and unaffected. but the autounattende.xm; files create partitions from disk 0 that is in my case the HDD. So i need assistance how to modify the Autounattented.xml files for installing windows 10 on disk 1 SSD in UEFI mode.
    i have another query, that in previous versions of recovery tools i followed your instruction word by word but in audit mode i installed certain apps from windows store. when i attempted to sysprep the machine, an error occured and the entire labour got wasted. therefore, i want to know is there any post install script to automate the installation of those store apps after the OOBE stage ?

5. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    For what I saw, you should not add/remover/update Windows store application but "inject" them. For that, you need a way to put your hand on the provisionning package from Microsoft. I think you need a special account for that (system integrator or similar stuff). I didn't bothered with that I must say.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. prasanta

prasanta MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2018
    ok pls tell me how to install my os on ssd disk 1 using autounattended .xml.

7. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    If your using "autounattend.xml" then change "<DiskID>0</DiskID>" to "<DiskID>1</DiskID>".
    If your using "diskpart /s ReCreatePartitions.txt" then change "select disk 0" to "select disk 1".
    Or just remove the hdd while installing the OS.

8. JeepWillys58

JeepWillys58 MDL Addicted

Nov 6, 2010
    #3409 JeepWillys58, Oct 6, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  9. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Hi everyone!

I'm working on 4.2.2 which will includes :
    - Self-signed file to prevent flagging from Antivirus. The root cert will be installed automatically under Windows 10 during the OOBE process make the apps look "genuine" (blue ribbon and not yellow)
    - Option to install on disk other than Disk 0. Sometime needed with computer with both NVMe + SATA configuration
    - - > The Full metal recovery (WIM mode) will also support the option to select target destination drive for recovery

Currently in testing under VmWare since the only computer I have with SATA/NVMe settings in my main computer.

Should be ready in a few days!

10. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    4.2.2 is OUT!

• Added: Support for Windows 10 20H2 (kind of, same files as for 2004 so...)
    • Added: Windows 10 can now be installed on DISK 1 or DISK 2 (or anyother drive in fact if you adjust the AutoUnatted.XML file. Template for DISK 1 and DISK 2 included)
    • Added: Bare metal recovery (WIM) for Windows 10 let you choose destination drive (Juste don't install on DISK 1, create recovery media and install on DISK 0 to have 2 time the same Windows installed, won't work!)
    • Added: All files are now signed with a self-signed certificate that is automatically installed during the OOBE process in Windows 10 (also, new "splash" screen when launching the tool!)
    • Fixed: Some text in French for Windows 10 (serons, seront, votre disqueS, etc.)

Have fun with it!

11. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Will test it and give feedback asap :)

12. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Lookin good. I can probably try this today
    FYI I had to right click and "open in new tab" to download, couldnt just click the link.

13. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Well. Look's like VirusTotal is still tagging some of my file as virus. Grrrr.

There is sadly no valid solution to fix that except sending my file to each anti-virus company to have them added to a whitelist. And re-do that each new version.

Changing programming language? Nah. I don't know any other one. And I am not willing to pay for that.

SO

The solution? Rather than compiling my script into EXE file I will embed AutoIT interpreter into my tools and run the script with it.

What doest it mean? Well, I will have to redo some of my CMD file, validation, etc.

AND

This also mean that I will completly stop the support for any other OS before Windows 10 before I don't whant to do that for a dead OS (Windows 7) and an unpopular one (Windows 8).

It will takes time before version 5.0.0 will be ready though. And no new option are expected so using 4.2.2 is still a good option for the time beeing.

14. NoTears

NoTears MDL Member

Aug 24, 2020
    @AnarethoS

First of all, thank you for this project that i had the pssibility to try it regarding win7 and i can confirm it's working great.
    You did a very goog job my friend.
    i just read that you would stop to support the project for win7 because it is dead, the os is still very popular my friend, it is still the most used os after win10 which i am not a fan of it at all.
    Do you know that win7 still receives ESU updates for all edtions and will normallu stil receive them until 2023 (at least) and this is possible through bypass project which is available here and whose author is a also a member here @abbodi1406
    So don't stop supporting the project for win7, believe me, i am sure there will be plenty of members who will continue using this os in the next years and therefore will test your project and benefit for its advantages. :)

Take care :)

15. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Well, I stopped supporting Windows 7/8/8.1 since nearly 2 years anyway. No new features where added since a long time ago.

I was just recompiling the EXE file with each new version, thats'it (mostly to fix false positive stuff).

Windows 7/8/8.1 where still present in my tools but all my effort was only on the Windows 10 part.

With version 5, I will simply remove the Windows 7/8/8.1 part from the package but I will keep 4.2.2 and previous on the web site anyway.

I don't plan to move my Windows 7/8/8.1 tools from compiled EXE to interpreted script like I will do with Windows 10. I don't have the time for that neither I have time to learn a new programming language to create a gui frontend.

Keeping the EXE from Windows 7/8/8.1 in my version 5.0.0 could still make it detected as a false positive (AutoIT script are sometime used for malicious use) and it is exactly what I whant to prevent.

So like I said, version 5.0.0 will be Windows 10. This doen't mean I will stop helping people using previous version on Windows 7/8/8.1.

Hope this clarify my position.

16. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Ok. Looks like people really what me to keep the Windows 7/8/8.1 files inside the same package.

I will see if I can migrate from compiled script to interpreted script theses environment also. I must confess what I don't realy remember how I built everything!

if I fail, I will either keep Windows7/8/8.1 in their compiled state as it is right now OR not compile the files but have my kit automatically do it for you so the package won't be tagged as a virus since compiled file won't be present.

This add more time for the resease of 5.0.0 though.

17. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Ok.

Windows 10 : Can be migrated from compiled to interpreted scripts (nearly completed / tested)

Windows 8 : Can be migrated also. Will do once Windows 10 part will be completed

Windows 7 : Can't be converted. Well, 90% can be done but I have a problem with one script. The recovery script called from the Recovery Environement extract the name/icon from the file. Using an intrepreted script will identify as "AutoIT" and not to "Recovery Tools". And migration is good only if I do 100% percent of the kit. So for now Windows 7 will be as usual.

Since I can't migrate the whole kit it may be still flagged as a virus sometime. I will probably "lock" the EXE archive with a password or similar stuff. Should help preventing my website to be flagged as a malicious one.

Will let you know how it goes.

18. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Compiled EXE from AutoIt! script is often flagged, but not only for the AutoIt! part. A good share of the false positives comes from the used compression - UPX.
    UPX (by Markus Franz Xaver Johannes Oberhumer) is frequently used by malware authors to compress and obfuscate their payloads, and thus generally flagged.
    Compiling the scripts with light or no compression can improve the situation.

19. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    I already tried with/without UPX.

I have more false positive with UPX and I stopped using it. Still have some false positive.