OEM Recovery Partition Creator for Windows

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by AnarethoS, Sep 11, 2010.

1. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Cool :D

Next version will stop using RAR to split the WIM file. I will rather split it during the capture process in SWM (WIM splitted image). This will make the capture process longer, be it will be really more faster to create DVD/USB key and to restore the computer from DVD/USB key.

Also, this will my package "legit" to be distributed :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    Ok, it worked this time 100%

Yeh good idea re the RAR, also may i suggest that after the restore has completed you pop up a message box, press to restart the system maybe?

Otherwise great - maybe others will aslo test this for you and suggest anything for the future?

3. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    this will come in handy, thanks for sharing.

4. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    The warning is still there when booting from the recovery partition. Not from the DVD or the USB key.
    I will add-it in a future version.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    1.0.7 is out!

6. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    Great work, will have a test of this now...

7. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    Ok all looks good well, oh yeh make the changes to the "Recovery from DVD" to show the Warning then it will be 100% Perfect. A soluition that will save many people so much time in trying to create something like this.

Also how do you boot from the recovery Partition - as if i use F11 - just windows 7 option available and F8 just repair options can not see anything to do with your program. is it missing ?

Just love it!.....

Thanks for sharing this with us all, I am sure many people will test it also and for the future... Well Here goes;
    1. Change the Folder name installed to lowercase not caps
    2. Are you able to position the menu's so that they do not overlay each other when usinging the recovery tools within Winpe - maybe next to each other or hide the first menu?

8. larryba

larryba MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2010
    how do you use this i press install then it opens cmd tells me cannot find the drive specified

9. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    Please read the documentation included in the version 7, you must have the correct partitions, as R: = Recovery, S: = System & W: = Windows. Once you have these you need to install a clean version on windows 7 into W: then follow the instructions.....

10. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    To acces the recovery partition, you have to :
    - Press F8 during boot
    - On the menu where it ask if you want to go into safe mode, etc. press ESC
    - You sould see a menu with Windows 7 in the top. On the botoom, you have now Memory test AND Recovery Tools. Press TAB to switch to the bottom and select recovery tools.

As for the warning, I will add it un the next version. I can't make the menu not to overlay, as they position themself in the center of the screeen.

11. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    Yep, found it, thanks just testing that now..

Perfect!

12. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    There was 3 way for me to make the recovery partition accessible at boot :
    1) Add the recovery tools as a new OS (old way, user have to wait 10 seconds to choose which one to boot)

2) Add the recovery tools as a new tools (actual way)

3) Add the recovery tools as a replacement for the built-in recovery tools of W7. Problem is that repairing the boot loader disable the access to the recovery tool until the user run the following command "reagentc.exe /disable & reagentc.exe /enable". Decided to not use this method.

13. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    Your current method works, really well, just could not find it. how about the F11 methiod?

14. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    The F11 method require to register my modified WINPE image as the real Recovery Agent (method 3). It will not works well with non-generalized image and will stop working if the user choose to repair the bootloader, since the Recovery Agent can not be activated off-line.

But, I will try to add an option in the Maintenance menu (along with the Media creator) to reboot the computer directly in the recovery tools. It will make a backup of the current bootlaoder settings, configure a new one with only the recovery tools. The recovery tools will restore previos configuration once booted. The user will have to access the recovery tools from the boot menu only if Windows is unable to boot at all. Will works on that during the week.

15. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    Thats a good idea, much easier to use it that way. Just need then to update the documentation, maybe with some screenshots? :cool:

16. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    1.0.8 is out!

17. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Done! Documentation is much more nicer now :D

18. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    Great Work, Will have a test in a bit...

19. unknownzd

unknownzd MDL Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Actually it looks very nice (a lot better then those crappy recovery app existing on the web) ........ but why do you use AUTOIT for such a small app .... afraid you can use MFC instead of AUTOIT for such a small app :\