OEM vs Retail Serial?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RASelkirk, Aug 16, 2018.

1. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Hi all,

I've got an Acer laptop that came with Win7x64 Pro (OEM serial) which I later upgraded to Ultimate using the MS upgrade route. That, in itself, was strange. I clicked the "upgrade now" button, it went to MS land and installed the Ultimate upgrade, and never charged me a cent. All is great with the laptop.

Seeing the future, I've decided to inject my laptop into a VM VirtualBox VDI that I can run on whatever flavor the next laptop is. That went OK for the most part, but now Windows doesn't like my OEM serial. Boot-up keeps telling me I'm counterfeit. BTW, I used ABR to "set" the serial in the VM version.

So, could ya'll look at my thread in the VM section and tell me if this can be overcome w/o buying a new full retail version? Or if that's even possible to do?

TIA!

Russ

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Your laptop probably has a slic for 7, when it has a slic for 7 you can install all 7 sku's from starter to ultimate and activate it genuinely by installing the certificate and oem:slp key.

You can run DAZ' Windows Loader and it will install the correct certificate an oem:slp key.

To see if there is a valid slic you can run the QT from the MRP project thread:
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/multi-oem-retail-project-mrp-mk3.71555/#post-1283849

3. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    Sorry, I edited while you were posting. Did that with ABR, said all was good but it didn't take...

Russ

4. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    FYI: Carlos D fixed me up in my VM thread. When using a VM the correct SLIC table can be "fed" into the VM on startup, then it shows as a registered copy.

Thanks!

Russ