OEMBIOS Backup

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by 38956, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Bakersfield

Bakersfield MDL Junior Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Okay Peoples!

I have followed the instructions, booted iso - puredos - and this is what I get:

"Windows XP OEMBIOS Test v1.1/375/126
    F: Benq Corporation OEMBIOS.CAT CRC32=B55014F0
    E: HITACHI, Ltd OEMBIOS.CAT CRC32=BE5CE5BD
    The above OEMBIOS set(s) should preactivate Windows XP on this system.
    Lines starting with E: are not reliably detected when running under windows.
    etc."

urie, thanks for your additional input.

Re backing up. I want to be able to restore the machine to its original factory state. I.e It shipped with an OEM version of Vista (I cannot tell which version). Whilst in the IT departments hands, someone decided to downgrade (irony) the o.s to the XP (VLK).

Right now it has 1.5gb ram, and therefore I am happy running a lean xp on it. If I choose to upgrade to 4gb ram and then sell it on, I would like to be able to restore it to factory delivered oem Vista state, as it would be worth more. Especially since XP support ceases in April next year.

Tito and urie,

To you both; most sincerely; thank you for helping me with this, I know how busy modern life can be.

Please help me move to the next stage with:

1. Backing up any necessary files, so that I can grantee a return to its factory fresh vista oem when I sell it.
    2. The next steps to get XP slp up and running, whilst I use it over the next year. (Part of the deal in being allowed to buy it, is that I have to dump the company VLK key).

Bakersfield

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    would be worth more upgraded to to Windows 7. Likely could have slic upgraded or installed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Bakersfield

Feb 7, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestion 911medic, but due to the nature of my work - I'll need to stick with windows XP while I have it with me.

I still need help with the above (just in case it gets missed).

My warm thanks,

Bakersfield.

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    1. What edition of Vista is inside?? Run "slmgr.vbs /dlv" (w/o the quotes) and post the result.

2. Have you downloaded the Benq oembios set??

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ Tito, "slmgr.vbs /dlv" won't work at the moment Bakersfield has xp pro vlk installed.

@ Bakersfield, for what I have read you can press Alt + F10 when machine is starting up that should get you to QDataTrove to recover you machine to factory settings (i,e, Vista if recovery partition is still there.

6. Bakersfield

Feb 7, 2012
    When I type:
    slmgr.vbs /dlv

into the Xp run box - I get:

"Windows cannot find 'slmgr.vbs'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click Search."

edit: urie - just read your post. Unfortunately, the IT department have deleted the factory recovery partition. It is now it is a vista slic and bios etc, but I can't find out which version, as the machine has been wiped to run the current Xp.

Note: When originally purchased, this machine was OEM vista installed.

I am locating the benq XP oem files now.

7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    1. That command is applicable for Vista. I forgot that it was already wiped out. You can check COA to determine.

2. If you have already download the Benq oembios set, then just use 911medic's tool to convert your XP from VL to oem:slp.

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  9. Bakersfield

Feb 7, 2012
    urie and Tito,

Thanks for your continued support.

Right now, I have the benq xp oem bios files, and I also have drivers for windows xp (plus vista for future).

I am willing to start afresh with this pc. What is the cleanest way to get Xp pro sp3 slp on this machine? After looking at 911medic's magnificent VLK to oem script, I noticed it does use some patching too.

Is there a way to get a XP pro sp3 VLK BOOTABLE CD (which I have), and use it to create a sterile slp install? I am comfortable with iso editing etc.

I appreciate your time and energy very,

Sincerely,

Bakersfield.

10. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  11. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Again, 911medis's tool doesn't patch anything. It just helps you to safely replace oembios files & registry entries to convert a non oem:slp installation to an activated oem:slp installation.

12. Bakersfield

Feb 7, 2012
    Okay Tito,

I have followed the instructions on making SLP OEM XP SP3 CD. I am at the last stage before processing files to ISO.

Is there a specific key I need for benq slp activation?

13. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Noop.. the key posted in the guide is fine. Its a generic oem:slp key by Microsoft.

14. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    I kinda meant when you off load the machine and you are done with XP. Hope the activation went well..

To reiterate, there are no hacks ,patches,or other file manipulations done in the changer. There is a antiWpa option, but it is not advised. The only changes are as Tito advised.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Bakersfield

Feb 7, 2012
    Dear 911medic,

You are completely right, I had (mistakenly) thought you meant it for while it was in use by me. My apologies.

It was the antiwpa option that confused me. I've misunderstood it to be a patch of some type. Please help me understand what it does and its function so I can understand.

The OEM XP install has worked perfectly. I am very grateful urie, Tito and 911medic for your time and teaching.

When I did the updates, I rejected the WGA windows update twice? Was this a good idea or should I install it? Are there any negative consequences of installing it - if guessing at future program installation. I might look at Office 2010 with autokms.

16. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    You can update all without issue as long as you do not use the AntiWPA. This is a hack that introduces a .dll file and redirects a registry value to it. Basically it keeps the OS in a pseudo-trial mode by means of a dll hook. simple but complex at the same time. This added file will trip AVS and also render the OS 'not genuine'. It is also removed by most AVS at this time. Newer versions are easily removed as they do not actually modify .dll, just add files and redirect pointers. You just need to know where to look...This is NOT used unless specifically activated and many nags are passed.

If you used the OEM system with serial, oembios files and slp string in bios then the install is for all intent and purposes legit. You can install whatever update you wish; WGA or otherwise.

Autokms is a good program, but will necessitate you allowing it to run with your AVS. It is a false positive on some software.

17. subhan

subhan MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2013
    nice work bro ...........

18. mattscomp

mattscomp MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2015
    These links are dead. Anyone got a copy?

19. LostED

LostED SVF Patch Lover

Jul 30, 2009
  20. piercekalton

piercekalton MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2010
    #40 piercekalton, Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018