Office 19 log files

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by haber123, Jan 3, 2022.

1. haber123

haber123 MDL Junior Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Has anyone found a way to stop office from generating log files? In each family member, the disable diagnostic info doesn't do it. HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Office \ 16.0 \ Outlook \ Options \ Mail \EnableLogging doesn't stop outlooks logs.

Adding office admx files to Group policy doesnt have any options for logging. Only way I found is to change permissions on %userprofile%\appdata\local\temp\Diagnostics and "Outlook Logging" folders. I remove all permissions and it works for a while, then they just start creating them again.

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Sorry, but where are those log files? Where they are saved and stored.
    I cannot find anything similar to what You talked above.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. haber123

Nov 5, 2009
    They are in the user profile, appdata, local, temp folder. A folder called "Diagnostics", the other if Outlook is used, is "Outlook Logging". I just checked mine, diagnostics has changed it permissions back and each family member makes temp files: App_1641160766914609300_4E6A69DB-F3D4-4134-8FEB-0513CB245BE1.log The clisd numbers are in reference to the app, this one is from Excel. Every time you open word, excel it creates another. The outlook diagnostic files are 15 meg each and can have dozens of them.

4. Dolmatov

Dolmatov MDL Addicted

Aug 16, 2017
    #4 Dolmatov, Jan 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    Did you install Office from the official channel according to the documentation? Have you changed any options beyond the basic settings in the program?

I have a non-standard installation and configuration of the program, so I cannot disable this option. It takes time to investigate the situation, which I don’t want to waste.
    opt.png

Now I have log files and more: folder "Outlook Logging", folder "Diagnostics", files ExchangePerflog_... & etc.
    ____
    Edit.
    Can disable with "Microsoft.Office.Outlook.AlwaysOnDiagnosticLogging", it's can't helped with "etl" log files.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. haber123

Nov 5, 2009
    I used office tool to install office. Dolmatov, when you turn them off, did the log files stop? I see these log files on other PC's take up large chunks of hard drives.
    Especially Outlook diagnostics with no way to control or limit them. I am looking for a way to either eliminate them.

6. Dolmatov

Dolmatov MDL Addicted

Aug 16, 2017
    Turning off then turned off, then in my case did not help. Too much I have edit with regedit, that it is simply impossible to understand.

Is your option also shaded or what's wrong with it?

7. haber123

Nov 5, 2009
    The removing of all permissions from the folders stops the logs but will change sooner or later. I figure updates reset them. But what controls the log creation, and why no controls? Its like there is no permanent way to stop them. I launching script that deletes them on the exit I suppose would work. There needs to be a tool for this that stops them from being created.

Officetool or OfficeRtool need to add this as another tweak, "disable all logging" along side "disable telemetry".

8. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    #8 Dark Dinosaur, Jan 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    Easy way.
    Create dummy file, call it diagnostics, Block access to this file
    Since he can't write logs because it's don't know it's a file, you are fixed
    I Used this s**ty trick in win 11 to disable chat app