Office 2010 Installer Channel Switcher

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by Stannieman, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    You've got pm ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. kdo2milger

kdo2milger MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2010
    awesome!

in the mean time i added wzors visio.ww and prjpro.ww files to the visio and prjpro folders and used your add files feature and created a working vl iso.

i used CODYQX4's ez activator and all progs are activated!

has anyone tried creating a .bat or .exe within the iso to run ez activator at the end of office installation?

3. gotfree

gotfree MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2010
    Yes, I am running Win XP MCE 2002 SP3. This happens right after I start the application. May be the following will be useful as well: I have tried to open the application alone (in separate folder) and in the folder ProPlus.WW of the extracted Office 2010.iso. The office has not been installed yet. As I have already mentioned before, the Framework 3.5 is installed.

4. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    You don't have to extract office and place the app in there, it will take care of everything by itself. Did you test the version I send you by pm?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. camparks

camparks MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2010
    I tried inserting the wzor files too, but it did not work for me. Could you give me a step-by-step so I know I didn't mess it up somewhere?

I tried the disc as a fresh install on a fresh 7 system. I checked the disc and they are on there. I placed them(the .WW folders) in the open with all the .en-us folders and the .WW folder for Pro Plus. Neither Visio nor Project came up during install, nor putting the disc back in and using Add/Remove features option.

I asked on like page 2 or 3 of this thread, but never got a response.

Thanks in advance.

6. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Sorry for not responding on your question :eek:

So you give it an office installer, select the output channel and check the add folder checkbox. Now let it run until the explorer window pops up. Copy the visio.ww and visio.en-us folder to the poped up explorer window.
    Klick OK in the dialog box that poped up at the same time as the window and the iso should work.
    I never made an office/visio combined disk myself, but I thought this was the way to do it.

7. gotfree

gotfree MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2010
    I went over the thread. You appear to have sent PM to ghoffman.

Concerning the extraction: Should I place the Office.iso and the Switcher.exe into the same folder and then run the app? If so, I just tried this option. The result is the same error message. Clarification: I have tried to run the app alone in separate folder with the same result before. I am starting to think, maybe the app could not be run under Win XP?

8. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    The app should from any place where it has write acces (to make a temp folder/workingdirectory). And since it runs as admin by default it should have no problem running in any folder on your hdd.
    I'll send the pm to you too with a version that doesn't run as admin by default, maybe that's causing problems because xp doesn't have uac.
    And I'll set up a vm to test xp also.

But I don't see why it shouldn't run on xp because I'm not calling special os functions that are only available on vista and 7.

9. gotfree

gotfree MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2010
    No success. I have sent a PM to you with error signature.

10. koguna

koguna MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Hello,

I have 2 request :

- Can you add an option to merge x86 Retail Exe and x64 Retail Exe into one single VL ISO ?

- Can you add an other option to convert Visio Retail and Project Retail to VL ? Because for the moment we still need the VL ISO to do that...

11. camparks

camparks MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2010
    How to use Office Installer Channel Switcher to make an AIO installer w/Visio & Project Volume Editions:

I) Download the version of Office 2010 you wish to convert. Note: You can even use a trial version.

II) You need to get the files for Visio and/or Project. You will need the Visio/Prj/PrjPro.WW folders with files, as well as the Visio/Project.en-(us,fr,etc...whatever language you need). There are 3 methods to get the files:

Method 1: Download the necessary files.
    1) You can get the VOLUME License .WW folders from the link in Step 4 of the thread "How to convert Office 2010 Retail Installation to Office 2010 VL ??"
    2) For the .en-us files, go to page 6 of the same thread - Visio link is near the top and Project is near the bottom.
    (Sorry, as of now I don't have enough posts to be allowed to link. I will fix it later.)

Method 2: Download the installers for Visio and/or Project - again you can use trial versions.
    1) Go back to the thread I mentioned in Method 1. Starting with Step 1, run the installer for Visio/Project.
    2) Go to Step 2 and find the correct folder.
    3) Ignore Step 3 - instead you will be looking for Visio/Project.en-(us,fr,sp...) folder. Copy that folder to some other location on your HD where you can find it for later - C:\, Desktop, whatever.
    4) When the copy is complete, you may cancel the installation and exit the installer.
    5) Proceed to Step 4 and download the necessary .WW folders for Visio/Project. Do this for each program. Ignore Step 5, you are done with those instructions.

Method 3: As with Method 2, you will download the installers. However, instead of running the installer and getting files from the Temp folder, you can get them by extracting the installer.
    1) Download and install 7zip.
    2) Run it and find the installers where you saved them. Select the installer and use the Extract button.
    3) Create a folder name either Visio.en-(us,fr,sp..) or Project.en-(us,fr,sp...) where you will store the extracted files/folders.
    4) You will need the Visio/ProjectLR Cabinet File, Visio/ProjectMUI Windows Installer, Visio/ProjectMUI XML document, and one of the setup .XML files - see the next step to choose the right one.
    5) For each, the file will need to be opened in Notepad/Wordpad and re-saved as just "setup.xml" - for Visio it is the setup.xml3 file, for Project it is the setup.xml2 file.
    6) Make sure the name is "setup.xml" when using 'Save As' so that Notepad will save the file back as an .XML file and not a Notepad file. We are not changing contents, but basically just dropping the number off the end of ".xml"
    7) Save all files into the folder you created earlier.
    8) Go to the same thread and follow Steps 3 & 4 only to get .WW folders.

III) Adding the files to the .ISO image.
    1) Run the Office Installer Channel Switcher.exe
    2) Select your installer
    3) Choose the Output Channel(Volume) & Architecture
    4) Check the "Add additional files/folders to the installer"
    5) Choose your Output file location and name
    6) Click "Start Channel Switching"
    7) Wait a minute or two for two windows to pop-up. The first will explain about the explorer window where you will be adding the folders you have dl'd/made.
    8) DO NOT click the OK button until AFTER you have copied to folders into
    the work folder which pops up in the second window, which is Windows explorer.
    9) Copy the .WW folder and .en-(us,fr,etc.) folders so that they are in the main window with the other folders - Word.en-us, ProPlus.WW, etc.
    10) Once complete, click the OK button to start the creation of the .ISO
    11) Burn it
    12) Install all programs
    13) Use Office 2010 Toolkit to activate
    14) Enjoy

12. gotfree

gotfree MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2010
    Great job!

To Whom It May Concern:
    I have just proved, the Switcher is not working on Windows XP. Tried to open on Vista - FINE! Seems to be nice ap. Will give a try.;)

13. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    #54 Stannieman, Jul 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
    (OP)
    Yes I'm working on this things but it requires a complete revision of the app so it can take a while.

@ camparks: thanks for the detailed guide, I'll put a link to your post on the first page
    @ everyone: I fixed the bug that caused it not to run on xp.
    For the icons (icon of file and the small icon in the titlebar of the window) I used png icons and only vista supports png icons. I switched to bmp icons and all works fine on xp now.

14. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
  15. gotfree

gotfree MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2010
    I have one suggestion. I think, it would be nice to have easy converter for Office retail to Office retail select. How difficult would that be to implement into the channel switcher?

16. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    What do you exactly mean?

17. camparks

camparks MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2010
    Looks good but will/can the x64/86 buttons be merged as with the current Office-only version? I think it would look cleaner - there a lot going on there with 6 switches and 12 buttons. I like the enlarged window for the input files. Can't wait to try it out.

18. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Do you mean merged so there is only 1 x64/x86 radiobutton? In that case no, cause they are all seperate so you can choose to make an iso with something like:
    x64 retail office
    x86 volume office
    x64 volume visio
    x86 retail project
    etc.
    For every program with every architecture you can choose which channel you want.

19. gotfree

gotfree MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2010
    At the very beginning of installation of the VL edition, one would be given an option to choose what applications to be installed (Word, Publisher, Excel, etc.). I have not noticed this option in the Retail edition (neither in .exe or .iso). The retail Office.exe would install all available features not asking to make your choice.