Office 2013 on RDP enabled Windows Server 2008 R2

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by averied, Apr 21, 2015.

1. averied

averied MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2015
    Hi guys

We purchased 10 licenses of Office 2013 PRO just to find we can't install them in our Windows 2008 R2 Server because Terminal Services is enabled.

Installation says we need to purchase from Open Licensing edition, so I'm screwed.

Is there any workaround for one of this options:?

- Enable multiple session remote desktop without enabling Terminal Services in Windows 2008 R2
    - Install non open license Office with Terminal server enabled.

Thanks.

2. 1ManMafia

1ManMafia MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2013
    I had the exact same project for work. First I installed all my software & then I turned on Terminal Services. I also used a MAK key, but I am unsure if that is automatically also an "Open License" that also falls into the category of using it on a Terminal Server. I honestly don't think that it is.

How about trying to install a non open license first and then turning on Terminal Services? You might have to rebuilt the server possibly to clear any existing "hidden entries".
    If you get a "ran out of licenses" error that comes up after a while, how about trying to run the KMS activator to see if the problem goes away?

Then you can use your 10 licenses for local installations for yourself

3. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    You need a volume license edition of Office for this to work.

If you have any option to return the retail copies, do that. Otherwise startup a VL contract with the fewest possible licenses.

See if you can find a volume license reseller who will work with you on this. VL includes "reimaging" rights which basically says you buy one copy from VL to get the product key and access to download the media. Then you can use that to install all of your machines, using the existing retail or OEM copies as documentation that you do in fact have the right to run the software on that machine. My company did that for Windows, bought one copy. Since all of our machines came with an OEM license preinstalled, there is no legal issue with me installing the same version from the VL media and activating on our KMS server.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...