Office 2016 C2R vs Regular-MSI VL

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by AnarethoS, Oct 5, 2015.

1. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Hi everyone!

I see a lot of thread talking about both version of Office 2016 (Click-to-run / MSI) but I can't easylly find a good comparaison between the two version.

I know that C2R is not normally a VL version and that is has to be converted to VL to works with KMS while the MSI version is made for VL.

But asside that, what are the main difference in :
    - Installation size
    - Updates / upgrade
    - Licensing problems (C2R converted to VL can be tagged as illegal vs MSI?)

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    #2 xinso, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    It is hard to find the comparison chart. But C2R has Mondo.

3. fkar

fkar MDL Recognized Advisor

Nov 3, 2012
    One main difference is that, with MSI version you can customize your setup (i.e: if you don't need one drive, skype, etc., you can skip). With C2R you can't do that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    #5 Nucleus, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  5. WildByDesign

WildByDesign MDL Addicted

Sep 8, 2013
    C2R updates are always 1GB+ consistently whereas I would assume MSI Office updates would likely be more selective.

6. cengizhan

cengizhan MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    wrong. you can write a config.xml and skip products you dont need.

not rue. normal office 2013 updates were almost 1GB for each month. i have updated and old c2r installation to current version very fast.

7. asura10

asura10 MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2011
    Another point is that MSI updates keep a copy of every version of Office, look at the installer directory of any machine with 2013 on it, it will have at least a copy of SP1 office in there along with all the msp patches, thats wastefull in SSDs

8. xtcrefugee

xtcrefugee MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2014
    #9 xtcrefugee, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    Probably stating the obvious here, but C2R has a number of ClickToRun services and tasks that run in the background even when you aren't using any Office software. You can set the main ClickToRun service to manual start, but that introduces a big delay when starting an Office app. It has its own scheduled task for updates, which is pointless duplication as the MSI version just uses regular Microsoft Update (which provides more control over which updates you want, at least on Windows 8.1 and below). Basically if you hate apps running in the background pointlessly using system memory and resources, C2R is not for you. Of course this isn't really going to be an issue if you have a beast of a machine, but it's more of a concern on low spec tablets and older hardware, all those used MBs do add up.

It's also strongly advised not to mix MSI and C2R installations on the same system or you will run into problems.