Office 2016 Only crappy Click 2 Run setup from now on?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by gnugeek, Sep 24, 2015.

1. gnugeek

gnugeek MDL Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Everyone agrees this Click2Run setup is annoying and downright crappy. Does Microsoft wants to shove down our throats all their bloated apps? We have to resort to XML trickery or use 3rd party apps to modify the setup.

Is Microsoft ever going to make msi (earlier office 2013) like setup where we clearly get a choice to choose individual components?

Or is this C2R nonsense the way forward because Microsoft thinks it's the right way?:mad:

2. embasie

embasie MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2013
    We'll see what's the VL has to offer.

3. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008

My guess is MS will go with Click to run route in the future.

4. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    It's there product, take it or leave it

Office 2013 is good enough

5. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    Aren't we jumping the gun a bit here! From several posts in the main Office 2016 thread I had understood that desktop editions would be released on 1st Oct, only a few days away now.

Shouldn't everyone at least wait until then and see what the installer offers. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. manhtom

manhtom MDL Member

Jul 10, 2015
    Desktop Editions released on 22th Sep, but it's Retail Version, Volume Version releases on 1st October

7. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    #7 Nucleus, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    Easy solution for C2R custom install. Post.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    #8 PGHammer, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015

And why shouldn't they? C2R works just as well from local media as it does over the LAN, the Internet, or any other way. It's not exactly a "beta" technology, folks. It was first tried during the Office 2010 beta, then used for the RTM of the original Office 365, then for Windows 10's first Technical Preview, etc. If you are used to doing a "kitchen sink install" (as most of us that do local installs are), then you do nothing differently. True - a KSI also installs Skype for Business; since I don't have a Skype server to point it at, installing THAT application turned out to be rather pointless; however, that's MY fault - I'm not going to blame Microsoft for my own stupidity. Quite frankly, C2R solves far more problems than it creates. It's customizable (to suit the user, the target, the bitness, etc.) - it's also small enough to be a mail attachment. Yes - right now, it falls down during a custom install - however, how often are such installs done on an individual basis? (I typically do kitchen-sink installs by default - that's why I blamed ME - not Microsoft - for the installation of Skype for Business.) I did NOT think - it's not Microsoft's job to do my thinking for me. O2016RTOOL (which handled the conversion chores) did so flawlessly post-install. Pulling the files from my existing OneDrive was ALSO flawless - as they are Word documents from Word 2010 and later, I had not so much as a single importation issue.

9. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    That will depend on what features you use. One feature that I have used a LOT since it initially launched with Word 2013 (Save as PDF) is noticeably improved in performance since Word 2013. Outlook 2013 has improved in terms of handling of multiple mailboxes (especially multiple IMAP4 mailboxes - both my broadband provider and GMail use IMAP4 as the default, so this is something I leverage quite a bit). I can understand the "don't-want-to-move" aspect - one thing about Microsoft products is that complacency has HISTORICALLY been encouraged, and especially when it comes to Office. All that I ask is that you give Office 2016 an honest appraisal, and don't dismiss it merely because it's not what you are used to.