office 2019 silently updated to office 365

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by kiwig, Feb 18, 2024.

1. GrofLuigi

GrofLuigi MDL Member

Sep 17, 2016
    Or maybe it isn't updated? I think "Microsoft 365 and Office Updates" refers to "Microsoft Update", as it was called before, similar to "Windows Update". Updates for 365 and for Office products (and for others too, that are not Windows).

GL

2. Dolmatov

Dolmatov MDL Addicted

Aug 16, 2017
    The headline reflects a misunderstanding of what happened. You missed the conjunction "and". Microsoft Office has long been renamed Microsoft 365. Because of this, the products have two names. Office (Microsoft 365) uses different licenses for the same set of files, essentially the same product with different sales. Therefore, Microsoft forced its developers to indicate the names at the same time.

The actual product type is listed at the top, indicating the type of purchase (activation). There may even be several of them if the appropriate steps for deploying/configuring licensed variations (names) have been completed.
    upload_2024-2-19_2-21-38.png

Regarding the design. You did not show the entire screenshot of the program to check which one is being used. I will assume that it corresponds to the current one for the purchased license in accordance with the program version.
    You can try to deploy a lower version of the programs, but to do this you need to download the image from a neighboring topic before updating it on the server (upgrading the version). You may also need to reset program settings by deleting the Microsoft Office branch in the user part of the registry. Checking and performing updates is disabled through the button menu in your screenshot.

[HOW-TO/DISCUSSION] Microsoft Office Visual Refresh
    Potentially, you can download the first archive from here. Using notepad, replace the word true with false and apply the file. Then restart the program several times.

You can also try adding the parameters "Microsoft.Office.UXPlatform.ComingSoonBadgeEnabled" (true), "Microsoft.Office.UXPlatform.ComingSoonFlightCleanUp" (true), "Microsoft.Office.UXPlatform.ShowComingSoon" (true), "Microsoft.Office.UXPlatform.ShowComingSoonUI" (true). Then see what happens when using true or false. Restarting any of the programs is required when changing the registry. A button should appear in the header to switch the design in the normal way.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. kiwig

kiwig MDL Member

Apr 2, 2014
  5. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    why block updates?
    bad idea

6. Dolmatov

Dolmatov MDL Addicted

Aug 16, 2017
    No. I disabled it in the program and update it manually from time to time.
    I have a firewall with semi-automatic access control, and I receive Microsoft 365 updates about daily (almost a canary update channel). Frequent installation of updates causes the need to update several protection rules. Therefore, it is easier to update manually about once a week, when I have free time.

7. kiwig

kiwig MDL Member

Apr 2, 2014
    I noticed today, in Outlook, that the default email account is a user, though not logged in. Possibly where MS is snooping, haha.
    Additionally quite a few visual changes. one change disappeared overnight.The 'try new Outlook' notification has also gone.
    Just feels intrusive.