Official response from Microsoft on privacy concerns

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by genenioo, Sep 29, 2015.

1. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    There are 5 million windows insiders who allow MS to collect data and give feedback every minute if they want. I just don't see the need for MS to collect anything from the rest of customers. I think the only thing MS should see is updates so they can know what is installed or missing.

They didn't listen with win 8 about the thousands that wanted the old start button back. They could make this easy and please everyone, and tell people all telemetry will be removed and if you would like to help or give feedback all you need to do is sign up as a insider.

Just my opinion.

2. zero2dash

zero2dash MDL Member

Aug 30, 2012
    #42 zero2dash, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    What's funny is I'm not too worried about what they are saying, I'm worried about what they're NOT saying. :g:
    I don't expect a lot of transparency from any software company, let alone MS; the change in habits, however is what I find alarming. MS has not ever pulled this amount of data before from their users/OS. I don't buy the "It's connected, it has to do these things" nonsense, especially when with everything disabled/removed, it still calls out to Bing for no conceivable reason. :rolleyes:

3. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Where to order one? I think I'm missing mine, because I'm thinking about Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB for gaming at the moment.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    #44 PaulDesmond, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015

this is not the place to claim brain ... lol :D

ltsb probably can run all games if written for the platform though. Lack of codecs or other necessary things game-wise certainly can be loaded

5. Kuantum Freak

Kuantum Freak MDL Junior Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    You're just replacing one prime evil with another. :death:

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    When it comes to privacy, Google is a much worse offender. They gave M$ the incentive to follow

8. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Addicted

Jul 18, 2015
    It never stops being hysterically funny to see people claiming to have defeated Microsoft invading their privacy by going the Google route.

9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  10. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
  11. pvdven777

pvdven777 MDL Member

Jul 4, 2010
    My official response to Microsofts official response to privacy issues ...............

Pffffffffffffffffff :iamaliar: :bashtroll:

12. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I don't think 5 million Insiders reporting issues is the same as you having a peculiar issue to resolve. The fact that those are there to test the Insider versions in earnest doesn't mean they are going to push it to you instantly - if ever addressed based on voting. As far as I can tell the collection of those data is particular to service and feature. It is not about the operating system as a whole. The excuse of having 5 million Insiders to report issues and test Windows 10 is enough to understand how to serve you better.

13. hazark

hazark MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2015
    So it has to be written for LTSB version ?

Do you advise better to stick with windows 10 home or pro so all games will work fine?

14. zero2dash

zero2dash MDL Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Obviously 2 wrongs don't make a right, but, here's my thing (and I'll probably come across as being a massive hypocrite): I don't have as much of a problem with Google.

I know what I get with Google. I know what they do. They act/say things more transparent than MS.
    With Google, they get my data with Chrome (browsing) and my use of their apps (Gmail, Docs, Youtube, Keep, Drive). [Anything important I have in Drive is encrypted already before they see it.]
    They're not ruling over my computer.

MS/Win10, no. I don't want you poking around my computer or my files, or my applications. I don't want you installing updates without my consent, and without you telling me what they're for.
    When I use your privacy opt-out functionality/features and you continue phoning home regardless, you not only lose my trust but you prove that your settings sliders are a placebo.

For a time about a year ago, I dropped Google (at least temporarily). Switched to Firefox and used Outlook/OneDrive instead. I ended up coming back a few months later. I don't have a problem with Outlook (especially), or OneDrive. Outlook works a lot better than Gmail (and I find it preferable, as somewhat of an Outlook [app] fan). I do like getting Google's alternatives to O365 (Docs/Sheets/Slides/Keep) for free; that's one solid feature of Google. It also ties in with my phone. All my Google stuff is easily accessible, desktop or mobile. Chrome sync works great. I know they're poking around with my info, but at least I have some control, and somewhat of a leash on it.

Win10, I don't have that. So I don't use it and I refuse to use it ever again.
    Again, maybe that makes me a hypocrite; to be so vocal and outspoken about MS and Win10, but give Google the pass that I do. But that's JMHO. ;)

15. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #56 odiebugs1, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    Are you joking. One windows problem can require 15 different solutions depending on hardware. Windows has been plagued with millions of problems due to different hardware and only if everyone had the same hardware, one computer in the world, would MS then have insiders for picking out colors and pretty apps, I believe that the insiders have a dual role as problem solvers and MS gives the impression that what people want they can have because of suggestions.

16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Why is it o.k. for Google to read your email, but not Microsoft?
    If you were doing something illegally, would or could you have more trust for Google not reporting you over Microsoft?

17. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Possibly, you don't understand what I am talking about. The collection of data to serve you better is based on the service and feature you use not what 5 million Insider users report as bugs or issues.

18. zero2dash

zero2dash MDL Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Google only has access to what I allow them to have access to.
    I can opt out of their services and not use them and they know nothing.

If I use Win10, I have an OS that (despite all telemetry/"learning" being turned off), still phones home repeatedly while sitting idle at the desktop. Most of the traffic is encrypted which means no one knows what it includes.
    MS says what they do with the data and why they need it, which are basically all canned responses anyway. My response: I'm not willing to concede that amount or type of privacy in my OS.

Google can check my email and find out the amount of my bills and serve me ads all the want; I use AdBlock and my service/utility companies aren't going to help them out anyway because they're not me.

I don't necessarily trust one company more than the other, but at least with Google I have control over what they have of me. They have their fenced off gated section of my life, and everything else they have no idea.

19. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @zero2dash: Better the devil You know than the devil You don't know.

I agree. Google is trying to advertise to You. It's how they make their money. I don't like that they snoop through My attachments for exes, but there are ways to get around it.

Microsoft is an OS maker. And that implies a higher level of trust, which, in My mind, has been eroded to the point of suspicion.

Not a good place for an OS maker to be.