Offshore Laptop Battery Q...

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by RASelkirk, Sep 23, 2019.

1. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
  2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You have to be a very rich person if you want to buy things at that price. The normal price of this battery is about $15- $20, depending on the seller.
    But wealth, it is not a shame.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Your battery would be safe from viruses. It's just a stack of 16850 batteries with a pcb/controller.
    Even if you bought it locally it would of shipped from China anyway...
    btw the pricing is about average. Not sure where kaljukass got his pricing from... Should of provided links...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    is a generic they will either work or not....if it doesnt just send it back to the seller. and yes is all chinito made;)

5. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    #6 John Sutherland, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Hello @russ - In regards to the information you posted above, does that apply to your old battery or the new one? The reason I ask is that the design capacity is shown as 48400 mWh, but the fully charged capacity is only 19228 mWh. If you do the math, it's in agreement with the battery health being shown as 39.7%. I would expect a brand new battery to show both values as 48400, or at least be reasonably close to each other, and the battery health to be shown as 100%.

I would be less concerned about viruses and a lot more concerned that they sold you a used battery.

6. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    The rig with it's factory-issue battery is around 3 yrs old, so the loss of capacity is normal. My new battery is still on a boat somewhere in the Pacific, will test it when it gets here. The difference in price between a factory capacity battery and one with almost double that, is about two coffees at Starbucks. Not that I'd ever consider going there...

Russ

7. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    Ya know bub, I've been sitting here trying to ignore the crassness of this comment for a day now, but It finally ate at me to the point of a reply I prolly shouldn't be making. Wealth is a state of perception. For all we know, you might be worth more than I am. I do know I'm not gonna be concerned about spending $43 on a replacement battery for a laptop that I spend around 8 hrs a day on. BTW, that $43 (shipped) battery is close to twice the capacity of the factory $15 - $20 one you quote (but don't bother supplying a link for).

I'm not a "phone" guy, my age precedes cell phones by several generations. I'm even a little late on computers, buying my first one at 40 years of age back in 1993 complete with 4 megs of RAM and a 28k modem.

So the burning question is, if you're so poor that you can't afford a battery, can we assume you are too poor for a computer and are posting to the forum on your free O'bama phone? :rolleyes:

Russ

8. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Keep your health. It seems You are not doing very well. But there is nothing wonder, if You hate everyone. Good health to You.

9. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    You know I thought the same thing. What a smart arse. Why even post if your not contributing to the topic...

10. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    Well, here we are again. New battery came in, installed it about 4pm today. Three hrs later it still shows the same thing: "plugged in, not charging". So how could this still show what it did when first installed - 68.5% - after running for over 3 hrs? Is there some kind of trick to get a new battery working? There's no tape on the contacts and I have rebooted...

Russ

Attached Files:

11. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  12. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I recently had a conversation with a notebook manufacturer about not being able to write to the dmi. His solution was to flash the full bios with fpt - which is destructive. I knew I'd loose sn/uuid/etc but I asked him anyway. Here's what he said:
    So perhaps there's something pre-programmed for the smaller battery?

13. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    I think the battery was misrepresented. The company asked me to photograph and send them pix of my original next to theirs, and I noticed the part numbers do not match or overlap in fitment. Mine shows "AS10D31" while theirs shows "Replace AS10D3E, AS10D41, AS10D61". Even stranger, the pic above (post #11) of the new battery properties lists it as "AS10D71" which is not anywhere on thier list. Still waiting on a response as to why they sell a battery that does not replace what it was listed as replacing...

Russ

14. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    OK, they want me to send it back (to China!), not gonna happen, I'll get a new one direct from Acer so I know it will work, then do some surgery to install the fresh cells into my old factory battery.

Bottom line - know who you are dealing with! From now on, I will always investigate a website's contact info to be (reasonably) sure it's stateside. Hope this fiasco will help someone down the line...

Russ

15. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    you do know that this Acer battery that you order directly from Acer will have a sticker tag that sez:
    Made in China on it too?
    Your best bet is to get your (Chinese) battery from a U.S. distributor, that will cover any warranties for you if it fails before the 30 day warranty expires.

16. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    After further research, it appears that I need to be looking for AS10D31 instead of Aspire E1-731. Go figure...

Russ

17. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  18. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010