Oh god, did I just make a "little" mistake...

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by mxragdoll, May 24, 2010.

1. mxragdoll

mxragdoll MDL Novice

May 24, 2010
    #1 mxragdoll, May 24, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
    I just totally did something I've never done in the past, which is mod the BIOS with your loader, without saving a copy of my original. I hope I haven't bricked my own machine, because I won't have anyone else to blame. Did I just wipe my own original BIOS completely with your modded version? Or do you have any ideas of how to acquire my original? Maybe I should just contact POWERSPEC, that would be my first step. I probably just answered my second question. But how embedded is your loader? Or what link might you have to point me in the right direction?

Jesus, nevermind, it worked anyway, if I have issues, I will revert and do the research on my own. Glad to be a member here though.

2. ippytattoo

ippytattoo MDL Senior Member

Jul 17, 2008
    #2 ippytattoo, May 25, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
    Removed by me

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. noneo2

noneo2 MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    i have a question: Why have I uninstall a loader before I flash BIOS? Can I flash Bios first, check if mobo is alive and then run win 7 and uninstall loader and install cert and key?

4. noneo2

noneo2 MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    PS sorry for my bad english.

5. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    #5 NoJuan999, May 31, 2010
    @ mxragdoll,
    The Loader by Daz does Absolutely Nothing to your BIOS, it inserts SLIC 2.1 info into memory at boot-up.

noneo2,
    You must uninstall the loader so that you can check and be sure that the Bios Mod actually worked properly.
    The loader will interfere with the Bios Mod's SLIC info by placing SLIC Info into memory at boot-up.
    You can flash a mod first and then uninstall a loader, it won't hurt anything.
    But you won't get accurate resluts from any of the tools tha tcheck for SLIC 2.1 if you have two methods on the same PC at teh same time.

6. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I'm sorry but that's uncalled for. Most of todays activation tools are not gimmicks at all, they stand nearly the same chance of deactivation as a modded BIOS unyet they are flexible enough that you don't have to make changed to your systems hardware.

I have nothing against BIOS mods, I have one myself on one of my systems but what you said and in the manner you said it (caps) is just foolish when you know absolutely nothing about the development of these alternative tools. NoJuan999 on the other hand has watched the development of a few of the applications and unlike you will recommend the solution that sometimes best fits the system or the end user.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    #7 NoJuan999, May 31, 2010
    Very true, Daz.
    I have no problem recommending whatever method best suits a user/system.
    In many cases that is your Loader and in some cases RemoveWAT.
    In my book, it's always best to be safe, rather than sorry when dealing with a BIOS Mod.

8. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Exactly, if a BIOS mod exists and someones said it works then odds are it does and it should be safe to use. If however the system is a difficult one to modify or maybe it's just old then theres the loader solution, software based yes but as you know I've gone to some measures to protect the user and the loader itself is well known for fully passing WAT and activating millions.

Some solutions may be gimmicks but there are the few that really work and have had a hell of a lot of time put into them so when someone says everything but a BIOS mod is a gimmick it's sort of an insult as I could say the same thing about a BIOS mod if I were to go into detection details.

9. -Jim-

-Jim- MDL Senior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Gents,

While I agree that each situation may require (or have) a different solution that suits it best, I don't think that the each solution has the same degree of being found out and sucessfully counteracted by MS. I've seen where Loaders have been found out and counteracted, as have earlier WAT removal schemes, but so far (touch wood) I haven't heard of a Bios Mod being detected and counteracted by MS. I therefore think the Bios Mod as the first choice if practical. If not, then the others come into play.

Am I all wet here? Is there data I'm missing?

10. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #10 Daz, May 31, 2010
    Well that can depend. Earlier versions of the loaders were not encrypted and had static SLIC's and were used in pre-activated DVD's, these are simple to kill off. Since I have added encryption and data randomization to give each user a version of the GRUB that nobody on earth will have the same version of on their system it's held up against WAT. I've also got more extreme methods towards the loader protection but I'm just not putting them into effect just yet, why show MS all my cards right? ;)

While a BIOS mod isn't within the OS like a piece of software it still does have it's own faults - data mismatches, dates etc. MS just don't do much about it because what they really target most is pre-activation solutions, things that innocent people buy. Currently there is no ISO out there that will touch your systems BIOS to inject a SLIC so as long as they look like they are doing something about piracy then their partners are happy.

Some solutions just get some bad rep due to the public talking about it, things like the BIE version of the loader. Why does his fail but mine works? It's because I'm doing it a lot different and my version is nothing like his even though it's still based on GRUB.

11. ippytattoo

ippytattoo MDL Senior Member

Jul 17, 2008
    #11 ippytattoo, May 31, 2010
  12. -Jim-

-Jim- MDL Senior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Daz,

Thanks for the quick reply. My comments are on Loaders in general - all the way back to early Vista versions I tried.

Don't get me wrong, I think Bios Mods too have major risks and they are not for the faint of heart or squeamish - nor the technically inept.

Balance is what it's all about. Picking the right solution for each person and situation.

I'm looking forward to trying your latest version. ;)