old crt monitor out of range

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by crabhunter, Jul 14, 2011.

1. crabhunter

crabhunter MDL Junior Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hi everyone, my monitor died on my work pc which I only use for bits and bobs nothing work related and all I have to hand is an old 15inch crt monitor that only really supports 800*600 although it will do 1024*768 at a horrible refresh rate.
    I connected it up and got the out of range error, no problem I thought quick reboot into safe mode chose 800*600 but same problem after reboot. I uninstalled the ATI drivers and rebooted, windows7 found the new hardware and reinstalled the drivers rebooted and out of range again.
    If I change the resolution in safe mode it remembers the setting next time I go into safe mode but not after a normal reboot.
    I think the problem is Win7 doesn't use 800*600 and the ATI drivers are setting the max resolution but setting the refresh too high.
    I have downloaded the latest ATI drivers but they will not install in safe mode.
    Is there any way I can alter a config file to force it to boot in 800*600?
    Mike

2. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Just something quick, there is probably a better method but anyway..

Start regedit and browse to \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video backup the whole key, after that click through the GUID's until you find something suiteable and change the Values: DefaultSettings.VRefresh, DefaultSettings.YRefresh, DefaultSettings.XRefresh, use 'Base' Decimal

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Quote from MS:

Have you tried booting in VGA mode instead? It should be in your list of options when you press F8 to enter the boot menu...

Then, once you are logged into Windows, try changing the resolution to 800x600, apply and restart in Normal Mode to see if Windows have retained the setting.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. crabhunter

Dec 30, 2009
    Just had a look through the Video key but nothing resembling resolutions or refresh rates and I've expanded all the folders in that key :(
    I think this monitor is just not suitable for win7, it was never any good for anything really but it's all I've got at the moment.

5. crabhunter

Dec 30, 2009
    Thank you x86, that did the trick perfectly.
    Mike

6. v51d

v51d MDL Novice

Jul 4, 2011
    My monitor is a 15" 800x600 only and the only way that works fine is in 60 HZ: display propierties>settings>advanced>monitor>screen rate refresh