Older Games For Windows Activation Limits?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Viper187, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Viper187

Viper187 MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2012
    Strictly asking for info here. I've been picking up a few PC games lately that are Games For Windows Live cause the achievements stack with the Xbox ones for the same title, and I enjoyed the games enough to play twice (if the price is right). Thing is, I have some older titles like Halo 2 and GTA4 which I've heard have an activation limit. Newer ones don't. What I'm wondering is if you can get around the limit itself by patching the game so long as you use your valid key to sign into GFWL when you actually play. I got the impression that the MF.dll for Halo 2 being replaced allowed the game to run and still sign into GFWL. I'm wondering if anyone else knows anything about this. I normally patch anything I buy that has online activation just on principle. I got tired of activation limits back when I had Office 2000. I'd like to know what I'm dealing with since I'm thinking of ordering some other GFWL titles. If I'm going to have issues with older ones cause I reformat my machine, upgrade, etc every so often, I'll avoid them.