On how many PC's I can use my Retail Win 8 Pro Key?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MrRTM, Sep 28, 2013.

1. daspicer

daspicer MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2011
    What was stated by the seller was a Windows 8 Pro key, not a Windows 8.1 Pro key (obviously). I have no idea if it's an actual retail or MSDN key. What I do know is that it immediately activated 2 Windows 8.1 installations in as many weeks.

2. WinDev

WinDev MDL Expert

Jul 6, 2013
  3. Baghi

Baghi MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. daspicer

daspicer MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2011
    VAMT says that it's retail and genuine.

5. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Is it? What else it is said to you? Please tell me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. daspicer

daspicer MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2011
    This states Win 8 RTM Professional Retail

7. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #28 MSDNAA, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    And how do you know it is genuine? I mean how do you know whether it is blocked or not? Because retail key doesn't have any kind of notification like MAK key (Key Blocked) message will appear. Right?

8. Baghi

Baghi MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2013
    If you add a key in "Product Keys", it'll not show the genuine status unless it's installed on the machine in which case you can see the genuine status inside "Products > Windows/Office".

Product Keys shows: Key, Key Type, Edition, Remaining Activation Count (in case of MAK; not available for other types of the key) and Description. In the description it'll show on what version of the given M$ software the key can be used.

9. daspicer

daspicer MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2011
    This key is installed and VAMT says:

Product Name: Windows (R), Professional edition
    Product Key Type: Retail
    License Status: Licensed
    Genuine Status: Genuine

I just find it interesting that it activated on a 2nd computer without having to call the Activation Center. That's what I was expecting to do. After inserting the key and checking for activation, it showed an error and said that it couldn't activate. So just for the heck of it I hit the activate button. It sat there for about 20 seconds, and then activated. A glitch perhaps?

10. secretromeo

secretromeo MDL Addicted

Mar 30, 2011
    #33 secretromeo, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    Retail keys can easily activate more than 1 machine, however activations must not occur in a short time period and on machines located in different parts of the world.

You can use your key to activate multiple machines in your country in a short time period. However, in the same time period if you try to activate machines located on different continents, you'll most likely end up with your key getting blocked from further activations.

11. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Obviously, if you have bought it from BestBuy a retail online shop then it should be genuine only. BTW, can you post the screenshot of the VAMT tool? Hide your key and post it. Just show me where it says genuine? Thanks.

12. MrRTM

MrRTM MDL Member

Aug 27, 2013
    When i click "Get more features with a new edition of Windows" under System on Windows 8.1 Core (laptop 1) and enter the key that I have used to install Windows 8 Professional on other laptop (laptop 2) I get this : "Your key works. Continue when you're ready."

I have geniun key for laptop 1 (windows 8 core) which I have used to upgrade to Windows 8.1
    Now I have bougnt key of Windows 8 Pro from bestbuy. It came in box with Windows 8 Pro x86 and x64 Discs.

Now I just want to upgrade the 8.1 to pro using 8's key.

I could try and go ahead but I dont want to mess up the installed and great working OS. If the key is accepted and Windows performs changes AND after (restart) that if its unable to activate, then i'll be screwed....

13. secretromeo

secretromeo MDL Addicted

Mar 30, 2011
    Wait... Please be more clear.

14. MrRTM

MrRTM MDL Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Its best explained... If you don't understand. Don't reply!

15. daspicer

daspicer MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2011
    I bought the key on eBay, and this is what VAMT shows me:

Windows.JPG

16. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    which version of VAMT you are running?

17. daspicer

daspicer MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2011
    I'm aware that it's possible to activate more than 1 machine. And it was my plan to do just that. However, I was not aware that it's possible without calling for activation.