OneNote - Duplicate Data Search

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by Cripple.Zero, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Cripple.Zero

Cripple.Zero MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2016
    I keep a flat database in OneNote that keeps track of our company's assets (PCs, monitors, phones, etc., and where they are located - like what remote office or city). With natural progression of people quitting and others getting hired, some information overlaps (as in, Person A quits, but Person B is hired and receives some 'recycled' equipment from Person A). Under normal circumstances, I receive an email when a user leaves the company, and I then go into the OneNote application and delete the notebook page that contained that user's information. There are a lot of cases, however, where I don't get any notification when a person is let go and I find duplicates and triplicates of information not updated.

Is there a way to search for duplicate data quickly or automatically when entering in a new-hire's information that can highlight or draw attention to the fact that the information is elsewhere in the notebook? As in, I put in a monitor serial number, and either as I type or after it is done being entered, it says or somehow alerts me to the fact that the information is also elsewhere?

I know I can manually search each time using the search bar/text box in the upper right corner, but I can't seem to find anywhere on the 'net on a plugin, or whatever to do this.

2. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    Man, from what I understand of your problem ... it's much better to use a program designed specifically for your needs and one that make use of the a database.

Maybe something simple done in Microsoft Access or OpenOffice Base (free tool), and you yourself were able to do.

Unfortunately, I do not have a solution to offer. Only one direction, a path.

cheers

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Cripple.Zero

Cripple.Zero MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2016
    I was kind of expecting this answer. We (as in, the accounting department here) currently use 'fixed asset' tracking software. Unfortunately, though our accounting team has the software, the databases are more than messed up and they want to rebuild the entire infrastructure from scratch. We use BNA FA Software.

Technically, all of my information is printed off and interoffice mailed to our accounting office and they manually enter in this information into this software. However, until they are done hamming and hawing over when this will be done, I was just needing a quick and easy way of examining the data to clean up my documentation as best as possible so when it DOES happen, it will be clean information.

I used to keep it all in a spreadsheet, but that got cumbersome really fast.