Opening a .tp video format and Windows 7 goes blue screen

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by blackranger, Mar 6, 2011.

1. blackranger

blackranger MDL Senior Member

Dec 28, 2009
    #1 blackranger, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
    Hi all MDL members, I was finding some video in the Internet and downloaded a file of .tp (Transport Stream) video format.
    When I opened it, my Windows 7 with SP1 64-bit turned nuts and suddenly went blue screen. I restarted my computer and opened the .tp file again, it had the same result.

I opened the file using Media Player Classic with K-Lite Mega Codec Pack installed. Nothing strange happened with the other .tp files.

I would believe an executable could cause a blue screen. But it was rather unexpected to have a blue screen when I was opening a video. How come a video could cause blue screen?

Any thoughts? Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
  3. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    I agree it's very weird that a data file could cause a bluescreen.

Similar to what I encountered the other day. I've got an ISO file, I can mount it with Virtual CloneDrive and everything seems ok, but as soon as I try doing anything with it the system bluescreens. A corrupt ISO or physical disk filesystem should not be able to do that either.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. blackranger

Dec 28, 2009
    #4 blackranger, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
    (OP)
    Fortunately the .tp video file was running well in Windows 7 32-bit.
    Anyway, thanks for you two's helps.
    I think the GOM Player's quite good. It can play .flac audios and most videos. Thanks for sebus your recommendation.

5. blackranger

Dec 28, 2009
    I discovered that the GOM Player can jump to one part of a video just immediately which is faster than Windows Media Player and MPC.
    It is really smooth and there's no dots on the screen. Nice choice, sebus, thanks again.

6. blackranger

Dec 28, 2009