Opinion On Defrag/Optimization Software

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by DeathStalker77, Jun 15, 2014.

1. DeathStalker77

DeathStalker77 MDL Addicted

Nov 8, 2009
    Hello all!

I've used Raxco PerfectDisk for years (found better performance over Diskeeper and O&O), but I'm curious as to what our experts here think about System Mechanic?

SM is supposed to optimize *programs* as well as just defrag (and actively prevent fragmentation like Raxco & DK).

For "maintenance" I've been comfortable using TuneUp Utilities, but SM seems to do pretty much the same things.

Thanks for any input! :)

2. Jazz

Jazz MDL Senior Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Never Using a tool like that, for the maintenance of the System i only use CCleaner and Anti-Virus Definitions Always Uptodate
    it has been enough for me :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    agree with Icha, I use what windows comes with and let it do its own maintenance. Has never been a problem, Win8.x is always 0% fragmentation when I look.

CCleaner is a handy tool indeed though.

4. Simpuhl

Simpuhl MDL Senior Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Bytebuster

Bytebuster MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2013
  6. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    My 2cent..........

Why would one need a third party software to do the job for MS windows? when it's capable of doing the cleaning, defraggling, or any other maintenance 'cos no other software knows windows as much well as it knows itself... like when to defrag the disk or clean the temp files (needs a manual check up) etc..
    But Piraform's Ccleanner is good one and never trust any windows optimization tool ,it harms a lot than doing any good.

7. Jazz

Jazz MDL Senior Member

Jun 7, 2014
    More you can do to Optimize PC Performance without Third party Software like
    Turn off Visual Effect
    Check Backgroud Process
    Uninstall Software unneeded
    Windows always updated by Patch Tuesday from MS. etc :rolleyes:

8. Aemsa

Aemsa MDL Member

Feb 17, 2014
  9. monkeylove

monkeylove MDL Member

Dec 8, 2013
    It depends on computer use. That is, those who do a lot of copying, moving, and editing of large numbers of small files combined with some big ones will need better defrag programs. I noticed this for four Win 7 PCs that started with the built-in defrag program at default settings. At some point, they slowed down at boot time and when programs were run even after I did clean-up maintenance, so I had to use some tweaks and third-party defrag software to speed them up.

10. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    To some extent, it depends on what Windows version you have. Windows 10 takes care of its own defragging automatically every week and needs no optimization, other than keeping away junk software.

But my XP could do with a better defragger, like Auslogics, which offered more speed and possibilities.

Optimizers are in the same category as registry cleaners and can do more harm than good. And memory optimizers in particular are pure snake oil.

11. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

jkdefrag/mydefrag for me. i never defrag my main storage drive though. NEVER. its possible it has helped it survive longer than same model/make purchased at same time from same supplier. highly possible all were same batch.

12. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

mind you, i have os and project on new 7200rpm drives with good speeds and neither have much on them, i dont really need to defrag.

13. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @Aemsa thanks dude for share this tool that I dont know before, downloading now :)

14. Ahsan

Ahsan MDL Addicted

Dec 3, 2009
    well i can say from my over 20 years of PC experience...

Diskeeper 16 from condusiv technologies is the best , my windows 10 laptop is giving me superior performance after installing it , it is just super !!

I have a licensed pro version of it :)

15. Jari

Jari MDL Senior Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Wow ... I used jkdefrag a long time ago. It was a good one, then I used to use Puran Defrag free one. Well, I let Windows make a job now, as the time has been changed. It is not that important any longer as it used to be in a past :p

16. Hoppyah

Hoppyah MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2009
    use power defrag gui