OSX Snow Leopard on P5Q Deluxe/Others

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shaumux, Sep 9, 2009.

1. shaumux

shaumux MDL Junior Member

Jul 12, 2009
    #1 shaumux, Sep 9, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  2. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    #2 duh, Sep 12, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
    hello

hi shaumux,
    i just read the instructions nice and neat, i have a question. dd you just edited the bios? because if you are on a asus mobo then you may try coreboot it also supports uefi booting take a look at coreboot's gsoc and if you are on intel mobo? then i am sorry, i am still hacking the tianocore shi*s, this is pissing me off. i am on debian right now and i am having crap load of issues with tianocore on linux and especially the acpi and things and the fat drivers. i would like to know if i can offer the same code for bios in coreboot or tianocore.
    i had 3 asus boards, now they are loaded with coreboot and i had them taken off one by dad and 2 by cousins they are running some major file server and asterisk local voip grid on it. and it was also collecting dust anyway. and i never had this board. if you would like to offer the details? then i may start off with tianocore. for this board and also with coreboot for this board. you can make a choice, well i mean rather than the boring bios you can go for either coreboot aka linuxbios or intel's uefi aka tianocore.
    if you are interested? let me know. i dont have this board so i am not able to carry on with the coreboot nor tiano. and with my laptop i am trying tianocore as its gm965 and 64 bit instructions for celeron m 540 cpu with uc update (microcode update).
    looking forward for a reply if you are interested in development.
    thank you.
    p.s. i will download apple's source code again and start playing with it and will let you know asap how i am progressing. if i am able to bootstrap the gcc and glibc then you can be sure shot its a green from me. :-D and we can start with porting either coreboot or tianocore to it. thanks again. and thanks mdl. for being one of the most well shared and talented people group. :-D

3. mattrb

mattrb MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
  4. shaumux

Jul 12, 2009
    #4 shaumux, Sep 14, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
    (OP)
    Didn't properly get what you said.
    The bios is modified to patch the DSDT which makes OSX boot properly.
    Only 4 lines are removed.

Coreboot doesn't support my board i.e asus p5q deluxe yet.

I am willing to do some work to port either tianocore or coreboot (whichever is better or more compatible or having advantages) or a mix of two maybe to this but don't have any idea about its development stage.
    I am on a triboot system with gentoo linux, win 7 and Snow Leopard

Please try to use some punctuations, i still ain't confident about what i understood from your message.

5. shaumux

Jul 12, 2009
    #7 shaumux, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
    (OP)
    Well i am fairly new to osx myself. abount only a month or 3.
    i like to tinker around and trying to run osx just started off as a time killer.
    eventually i got ideneb 1.4 to run on this board then i thought why not try retail.
    Took a few hours bu was not much difficult if you do it in the right order.

But i like duh myself am a linux mniac and try to install linux on anything i get my hands on, though that wouldn't be too many things.

I was actually very eager to see coreboot ported to this board but this is too great to miss.

Oh yeah and from what i gathered tianocore with itself is of no use as its not a firmware.
    Its a loader. it has to be a payload for some firmware like coreboot.
    So to do tianocore, doing coreboot is necessary

6. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    #8 duh, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
    not fully acceptable but yes 199% right.

well, as you said you are 100% right and may be partially incorrect. remember this is GPL we got the freedom to do anything we feel like, there is no limit itself, so there is no such sky is the limit or things here in GPL.
    you are partially incorrect because we may also use openbios which is based of for sun's server ranges but that uses gnufi, there is elilo and uefi support for grub2, thats all excellent, but the BIGGEST issue?
    to make a firmware based on coreboot or openbios and with tianocore as a payload. now we got a loads of choices. and least amount of information to kick off. and frankly we are in deep ocean of soups only and the devil is giggling as we are jack squat with the so called available information.
    and yes when all this is done? we will also have to take care of cpu microcode update. i got no clue about mac powerpc cpu microcode but i am well aware of amd and intel's 6th gen cpu's microcode are upgradeable on the fly when we embed it in the bios firmware.
    so lets see where the wind takes us sailing.
    good luck man!
    i am not sure about your board p5q but i am well aware of what this laptop's mother board got, but since i am a dumb dumb dum-dum with electronics i dont know how to proceed and also this is not mips/arm based so i am in one word "fscked up!" :-D

7. shaumux

Jul 12, 2009
    Well i think coreboot would be better than openbios since its linux based and i could find more info about it
    openbios would be totally uncharted territory with a thick fog and no sunlight in the beginning i think.

8. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    agreed!

yes agreed, and openbios is more difficult to deal with and they use bazaar i.e. bzr instead of git/svn or the sweet old cvs/rsync :-D and second the coreboot like openwrt in freenode is extremely friendly, i need to again go pimping in freenode looking for free IT training wrt opensource. freenode/efnet is the sweetest when it comes to opensource stuffs. nothing can beat these 2 servers.
    dont you think we are migrating away from the topic here? OS X? i am planning to start a new thread, which will be solely relating to open source bios firmware and considerable participation, 2 man army isnt going to help in the long run with all plus and minus points listed in the "FINE PRINT." ?? what say?

9. Reginald_Rae

Reginald_Rae MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
    This is a Windows 7 Thread

10. shaumux

Jul 12, 2009
    What development are you suggesting?