[OUTDATED / UNSUPPORTED] RemoveWAT

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Hazar, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuvi123

tuvi123 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Hazar
    what about this:
    ?

btw thank you, you can pm a link when you've finished so I will test it and report to you of any isssues.

thank you Nononsense for patching all the files! really good job!

2. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    I know it does not put the watermark back, but I'm not too worried and it would only be extra hassle. Sorry but who wants a watermark back :p

I will try to fix unicode problem

3. runoades

runoades MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Wat? :eek: :D Yes. WAT is great. Good job. Thank you boss. :D

4. tuvi123

tuvi123 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #64 tuvi123, Oct 15, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
    Hazar
    in terms of professionalism, you should make the uninstaller restore/remove everything (every trail/trace).
    so I want the watermark back, it's more professional, if I decide to remove wat and use a loader I don't want to have some watermark trails.

5. parasxos

parasxos MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    I have to say that this Hazar "VS" Daz thing is very interesting and very creative as i can see, many people must be thankfull to you guys.

I also have to thank you for the interesting knowledge i m taking from this and of course for your dialogs that i love to read, how each of you is explaining his achievments to the other ! :)

keep up

6. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    We're not competing, I'm just trying to develop new methods, Daz is making the avaliable methods more accessible and easier to use for everyone, with tools to automate key installation and make the loader install seamless.

7. tuvi123

tuvi123 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #67 tuvi123, Oct 15, 2009
    Hazar
    so this method is similar to Chew-WGA 0.9, right?
    Chew-WGA patch the the file to say "windows is activated" and RemoveWAT patch the files to remove the activation section completely.

in terms of professionalism, you should make the uninstaller restore/remove everything (every trail/trace).
    so I want the watermark back, it's more professional,
    if I decide to remove wat and use a loader I don't want to have some watermark remover trails.
    so please fix this in the next sub-version.

8. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    I don't know how chew wga works, but it is quite large so it is probably carrying a few patched files, I'm not sure. This method works by using Windows commands to patch activation, and use a patched DLL to make the activation section dissapear.

9. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    thnaks hazar for ur brilliant work..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    Thank you very mich :)

11. tuvi123

tuvi123 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Hazar
    so does RemoveWAT only use one patched dll? IF yes what is the name of the dll?
    i'm asking this because as Nononsense patch a lot of dll's files to remove the nags (calculator,notpad,wordpad etc..) not just one..

12. parasxos

parasxos MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    So you intend to give him your code, i mean for this WAT remover?
    I dont think that a partnership would be more creative than what is happening now...

Whatever.. nice work!

@tuvi123
    so I want the watermark back, it's more professional....
    make a clean install :)

13. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    It uses only one patched DLL.

systemcpl.dll

The nags are taken care of via the patching method I use, with no dll hacking required.

14. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    I am trying to figure out what causes the unicode issue, not too many ideas yet but for all other systems it seems perfect!

15. tuvi123

tuvi123 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #75 tuvi123, Oct 15, 2009
    Hazar
    just to be clear:
    Do you use nononsence patched "user32.dll" file for the watermark remover?
    if not how do you remove the desktop trial watermark (not genuine)?

but you stop the protection and change the files, so there must be some nags..
    I trust you Hazar, just want more details..
    how Does RemoveWAT work?

I can guide you how to produce the unicode issues via PM.

16. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #76 Daz, Oct 15, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
    I made my project to start with as a proof of concept, that an application (everything done within the program itself) can perform better than that of a script, both for installation and options displayed to the user. I have kept working on it because people seem to like the project, but I have no plans to do anything for other methods of activation such as this. I'm happy with the well known and trusted loader approach which I personally think will surpass this method of "activation" as proven with Vista.

It's good to see different projects every now and then, while Hazar and nononsense was working on this I gave out my key checker as open source for example :)

@ Hazar
    The issue will likely come down to it being a unicode problem, I see that you have the UI in VB.NET but you are still passing everything off as "batch" via cmd.exe (cmd.exe does not support full unicode paths) -- even commands like delete and rename which do have VB.NET functions. I would suggest cleaning that up and passing short paths to the "batch" from .NET itself, that or just using .NET itself to handle all file placements, renaming etc.

I do agree with tuvi123 though that you should at least try to fix the watermark issue for the next version, having to reformat just to correct that is kind of silly. The cleaner the better, keep it up ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #77 Mr Jinje, Oct 15, 2009
    He doesn't change the files, he takes ownership, and either removes permissions or renames the files. He is only swapping one dll AFAIK.

Hazar are you using that compiled watermark.exe from your other post, or do you have it's source we could look at ?

18. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    RemoveWAT works like this:

It uses takeown and icacls to disable a crucial SPP dll, called sppcomapi, which in turn disables SLUI and the nags. The only patched DLL used is the control panel DLL from nononsence, and the watermark patch is the one by deepxw found here:
    deepxw.blogspot.com

If you could help me fix the unicode issue I would be grateful :)

19. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    Its the one from deepxw.blogspot.com

20. tuvi123

tuvi123 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #80 tuvi123, Oct 16, 2009
    Hazar
    PM sent.