Outlook vs Thunderbird for home use?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Deleted member 222776, Sep 2, 2017.

Hello. What would you recommend as a email client for home and personal use? I'll be using it with Yahoo and Google mail, of which I have multiple accounts.From a security point of view, what would you recommend and why?

Thank you!

1. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Been using thunderbird for years, actually just installed a very early version and just kept updating till today, very easy to backup.

2. jerzy601

jerzy601 MDL Junior Member

May 20, 2017
    Some time ago I used Thunderbird but due to frequent crashes I moved to Mailbird and am very satisfied with it
    I also recommend Mildbird is a simple to use interface and faster than Thunderbird.

3. adric

adric MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2009
    #4 adric, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    Thunderbird all the way. Been using it since 2004. I don't recall it ever crashing. I just hope they don't kill it someday. From a security point of view, use stamps and send your correspondence thru the postal service. :D. Common sense works too.

4. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Mailbird only supports one account unless you pay for the full version, Thunderbird wins hands down.

5. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Yeah I'm a thunderbird user. It works well. It supports multiple accounts and is free. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. 300

300 MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2016
    Sylpheed - best ever made lightweight and user-friendly e-mail client
    h***s://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/en/

7. jerzy601

jerzy601 MDL Junior Member

May 20, 2017
    #9 jerzy601, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    So I use the release version some time ago I uploaded the free version, but anyway I would not switch to Thunderbird.

8. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    well I'm using Gmail for a while who know I can switch to Thunderbird too :g:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. arisma

arisma MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2017
    Either of them

10. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    That's the way to live! Go for both of them. The only issue I had was that I liked both because on client had a feater that the other didn't, and vice versa. They should combine both and they would have an Ultimate email client.

11. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    I don't understand how you can compare an email service platform with a cross-platform applications for managing emails coming from different email platforms or servers, news feeds, chat, and news groups. Local application/program that, apart from managing, has nothing to do with the email service, its capabilities or anything at all.
    There is no way to compare these things. Any email server, platform etc cannot be compared tolocal email manager any way.
    Unfortunately, of course, some companies have used the same name for both the email server and the local email manager, and this probably causes a lot of confusion, because many people really don't understand the things are complitely different when they have the same name. For example, Microsoft email server is outlook.com and Microsoft email manager (program) is called outlook. At the same time, the Microsoft outlook program does nothing other than managing e-mails, regardless of their original server origin.
    So, what do I want to say? The e-mail manager cannot be compared to an e-mail server and e-mail service, but here under this topic everything is mixed up like mush and cabbage.

12. Hal2000

Hal2000 MDL Junior Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Using Thunderbird successfully for many years, I don't have a " brain the size of a planet" like kaljukass but I have addressed the topic.

13. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009