pagefile on SSD

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Satoshi19, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Satoshi19

Satoshi19 MDL Member

Jun 15, 2017
    Hello, is there a need for pagefile.sys on SSD with 8 GB RAM?

2. wyatt23

wyatt23 MDL Member

Apr 2, 2017
    Some say yes because certain programs use pagefile and i can tell you that under certain circumstances you can run without a pagefile and i have done with 4gb ram on a 64bit os without any problems so far. The best thing is to experiment and see whether no pagefile works for you or not. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    But why not? Why such a question at all? Can you tell, why is better not to have it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    IMHO you need it if you run big games for example other wise you get system out of memory notification in my experience

5. wyatt23

wyatt23 MDL Member

Apr 2, 2017
    I dont game but i do audio editing etc and xp32bit, w7 64bit and w10 64bit all cope nicely without a pagefile and i never run out of ram, i even do some video stuff with Vegas and i dont have a problem. :)

6. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Nice for you I had dissabled pagefile in the past and with heavy gaming I ran out of memory that is anoing if you play online games that freezes then ps I have 16 Gb

7. wyatt23

wyatt23 MDL Member

Apr 2, 2017
    So i just depends on a users needs :).

8. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Very true

9. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    PS is a ram hog and programs alike, with a "ssd" drive why would you even think of disabling it? There if needed; just adjust the size if you are tight.

Regards

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The Page File is needed on a machine which using apps which need a high RAM amount, special if the user uses more then just one app at the time and in multitasking, or Video editing etc. just as an example.

That means, it's about what's used on the machine in question. And just to say, special huge Excel Worksheets are very Memory hungry which could even end up in errors if no Page File is present, beside of even need much longer time for to do a huge job!!

11. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    I've been using my 16 GB RAM computer without page file for 2 years now. No issues at all. Even I did the reg tweak to load full OS kernel to RAM as well. Zero issues. But bear in mind I don't use high demanding applications like others have said above.

Note that I service Windows images to integrate updates, make multi-index compilations and export wim files to esd, which is a processor and ram demanding task.

I suggest OP to try. There's nothing to lose.

Another alternative is to plug a HDD into the PC or Caddy in a laptop, in case there would be some issues if no page file is set. Here you can set a large page file as you wish without affecting your SSD.

12. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    Indeed, if you need it, Windows will let you know. Like I had Deus Ex crashing with 8GB, because it uses 12GB, so I bought another 8GB and it is running fine now. I run any PC with 4GB+ with pagefile disabled, just to speed up browsing. As for, what is the point of it to have it disabled, performance gain obviously, it is also security wise, not to mention less writes on SSD.

Attached Files:

13. wyatt23

wyatt23 MDL Member

Apr 2, 2017
    Mr.X, can you share this tweak please :)

I also do image servicing on 4gb, no problems at all. :)

14. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Sure. Just leave a small page file (around 350 MB in size) on your SSD (no harm at all) or secondary HDD (best thing) just for Window to see it and be happy, hehe.

Enable:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
    "DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000001
    "LargeSystemCache"=dword:00000001
    Disable/Default:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
    "DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000000
    "LargeSystemCache"=dword:00000000

15. wyatt23

wyatt23 MDL Member

Apr 2, 2017
    Thank you Mr.X :worthy:

16. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    I have 64GB RAM and I still use a pagefile. It is rarely used but I keep it there so that I don't ever run out of memory

17. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    A lot of good answers here but I think nobody has addressed the OP's underlying question.

Putting the pagefile on an SSD will have *some* impact on the life of the SSD, unless it's a really new or expensive one that doesn't suffer from limited writeability issues. The more access to the pagefile, the sooner the SSD wears out. Am I right about this or just don't understand SSDs?

18. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Myrrh: That holds true with SSDs in any OS environment, although the CPUs on the SSD internal controller are doing their best to avoid
    frivolous cell writes. In theory the more RAM you have, the less hits on the page file.

Personally, I'd recommend keeping the page file, even if you have lots of RAM. If it's a concern, then make your primary drive a platter drive and add the SSD as a secondary drive.
    Or move the page file.

19. wyatt23

wyatt23 MDL Member

Apr 2, 2017
    Thats why you dont defrag an ssd, excessive reads/writes will kill it.

20. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Get a 2nd cheap SSD and load your pagefile there. Problem solved (and performance gained).