Partitioning a USB

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by HORIZONTAL THINKER, Apr 28, 2015.

1. HORIZONTAL THINKER

HORIZONTAL THINKER MDL Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Hi all,

Sorry if i posted this query in the wrong section but i couldn't find a home for it. And seeing as it's a piece of HardWare. I put it here :31:

Anyway. I'm trying to partition a 128GB USB 3 ways .

YUMI on 1 partition. Windows install on 2 partition. Software vault on 3 partition.

I've been able to create these partions using a live boot Ubuntu/Linux but M$ O/S's only recognise the 1st partition created.

Any attempt to access the other 2 partions via Disk Management throws up errors and leaves the whole USB unusable.

Which makes me have to go back to GParted to re-format it back to NTFS to rescue the USB.

Any suggestions/input on what i'm doing wrong or if it's actually possible??

Many thanks in advance

2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Technically you can only partition up a "WindowsToGo" usb key as it's treated more like a hdd.
    With standard usb keys MS only supports 1 partition (unless you use 3rd party tools like you've done).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
    When I saw your reply, I said "hey wait a minute", but since I've never tried to partition a USB drive, I thought I'd try before I mouthed off.

You are 100% correct. There is no way to delete the volume, or shrink it in Disk Management so you only get one partition in Windows. As they say, learn something new every day.

Thanks for the good info. :worthy:

4. HORIZONTAL THINKER

HORIZONTAL THINKER MDL Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Thanks guys for the input. I've seen 3rd party apps like "flipit" but i'd rather go the hard road that i'll learn other than the easy road that i'll clicky clicky.

YUMI will allow most of what i've mentioned as i'm sure most of you guy's know. But it's 1 full USB which allows additions ;)

5. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. BigReds

BigReds MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2015
    You can use bootice to switch between the partitions on a removable usb flashdrive in Windows.
    You can also spend the extra cash for a WindowsToGo Drive which is just a certifed flash drive that is seen as a Fixed HDD and not as a removable flash drive.