Partitioning guide Win7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cfrank33, Aug 16, 2009.

1. cfrank33

cfrank33 MDL Junior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Hy experts,

on tuesday Im going to install Win7 on my new Compu ( waiting for my new processor :D )
    I have a1 TB Harddisk and whenever i Installed a system ( mostly XP ) I was using one partition only for the system and one for programms/data.

Is this recommandable although for Win7 ?

I will install the 64bit Version.

How much space should I consider for the System partition ? I have seen that Win7 when im partioning the harddisc reserves a own partiton für his system files.

Can give me someone an advice how i should partiton my harddisc before installing the new system.....

MY config of the new PC

PhenomII 810
    4 GB Memory
    1 TB harddisk

Thanks

2. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    System partition should be from 80 Gb to 160 Gb, depending how much softs you will install and if you'll also installs games.

3. cfrank33

cfrank33 MDL Junior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Always i install only the system on c:

and all programs and software on d: for example.

So 80 GB only for the system is very big i think

4. DKnight2066

DKnight2066 MDL Junior Member

Jul 19, 2009
    I format my hard drive the same way as well.

A small(er) "Main" partition, strictly for a Windows install, plus enough space to fit the "Program Files" folder for key utilities that I install.

Games and non-essential programs always reside on a larger, secondary partition. ( Generally D:\ )

This avoids the need to reinstall dozens of games, which requires digging out tons of CDs/DVDs, then manually patching/updating each of them.
    (Yeah, just not my idea of a good time.)
    I backup all required Registry settings, for games that get cranky and refuse to run without their respective registry settings, and keep those in a "Registry Backup" folder, also located on my Backup partition.

Lastly, should my OS manage to get itself infected with a trojan/virus/worm, and I cant recover via Safe Mode, I simply format my main partition, reinstall Windows, and my Backup partition is untouched and it's contents ready-to-run once I reload proper drivers.

I've done this from Windows 2000 to Windows 7, and aside from user-error during a botched partition resizing (twice :eek:), I have never lost data I needed due to a virus/worm/trojan.

--DKnight

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...