Partitioning in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by moonburn, Nov 5, 2009.

1. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    They'll both do the job, probably. The choice is up to you, moonburn. Happy partitioning ;)

2. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Install Acronis DiskDirector - it is only OSmanager that isn't compatible with Win7.

Make an Acronis Boot disk - it will have DiskDirector on it and when you boot from it you have a GUI environment for partitioning.

DiskDirector can also recover deleted/messed up partitions if you stuff it up

Which you won't because it allows you to play with partitions like an expert - moving/shrink/enlarge/combine/split/recover etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    I used Acronis DiskDirector on Windows 7 X64 with out issues. It will run at boot before the OS loads so there is no issues.

4. moonburn

moonburn MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Thanks all! I've used Partition Wizard, it did the job great! Now I'm ready to create a dual boot 7 x86 x64

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Yes Partition Wizard is a great for a free program you can even make bootable cd or download the bootable cd from there website :)

6. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Best thing is it's free. Throw in the fact that it works great, and you have a winner. Gonna grab it myself, so let me thank u too :)

7. logonaniket

logonaniket MDL Novice

Apr 2, 2009
    I preferred doing partitioning through Windows 7 only by gng to Computer>right click>Manage>Disk management

8. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Yeah but that sometimes causes issues when merging or splitting the c: partition, as is witnessed here in the thread. Otherwise it's sufficient for who prefers it, yes...

9. moonburn

moonburn MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Just one last question: I now have two partitions:

1) C: OSx64
    2) D: OS

The latter is my old Windows 7 x86 system. The x64 OS, located on C:, works perfectly (still testing a bit). If I want to remove the x86 OS (located on a separate partition), can I simply delete this partition? Will there be a problem booting, i.e., should I edit boot.ini ?

Thanks.

10. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    You will want to remove the entry to the old OS. Other than that it should not be a problem.

11. Bagher

Bagher MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2009
    Can someone explain why partitioning is still necessary? I remember windows could only recognize so much of a giant hard drive back in the day so it had to be split up but why does it still do it? I bought a 500gb hard drive and now it's split into a blank 10GB E: drive and a 100MB system reserved drive. It's very annoying.

12. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Say u have only one large partition, and somehow your system drive gets messed up, nothing you can do but reinstall. You would've wished too have saved all your data on a seperate partition. If u happen to have several drives, then it wouldn't be nessecary, no, but 500Gigs as a system partition is a waste of space I believe. 50Gigs will always suffice for Win7. Cause normally movies, mp3, stored apps and even important documents should always be stored on a partition other then the system partition.

Also : dual, or tripple boot. U need partitions for that.

So I'd say yes, in some cases it has become unneccesary, but in many cases still required, and the smart thing to do.