Partitions in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by shadowstep, Jul 5, 2010.

1. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ nipun.narang, have you not deleted and resized partitions Yet it only takes a few minutes.

2. shadowstep

shadowstep MDL Member

May 2, 2010
    I'm sorry I was out of town for some work. Will get back on Sunday and then would reply asap.

3. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #23 Rosco, Jul 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
    You may find adding the free space to your E: partition a bit more troublesome than you envisage. The free space will be at the start of the drive according to the graphic and your C: partition is between the free space and your E: partition so from my experience with partitioing programs you may have to move the C: partition to the left in your graphic of the disk layout to enable expanding your E: partition - at least that is how it has worked using Acronis DiskDirector in the past.

Windows Diskmanagement achieves this by converting to dynamic disks which has implications.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. shadowstep

shadowstep MDL Member

May 2, 2010
    Damn I didn't realize that. Anyhow, let's see what happens. Thanks a lot for the tip! :)

5. Cyrillkk

Cyrillkk MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2010
    the boot partition for Win7 should be 100mb and contains some hidden boot files in there.

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Not in this case try reading whole thread he already had a system partition so windows 7 dooes not make 100mb partion if a system partition is already present.

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ nipun.narang, glad you got it sorted out told you it didn't take very long. :) to be honest you could remove the dell diagnostic partition also ( just to avoid confusion when maybe reinstalling windows ) because you can download the application from dell site and you can add it to a cd if needed. That is up to you i just like to keep things tidy.

8. shadowstep

shadowstep MDL Member

May 2, 2010
    Yeah. I'm now thinking on the same lines. Thanks a lot anyway! :)

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  10. shadowstep

shadowstep MDL Member

May 2, 2010
    Yes, I did read it. And I ran the program as administrator the first time only. It didn't work. Anyway, I know I can still use the other options. I was just wondering about the partition only.

Also, I read somewhere on google that after removing the dell diagnostic partition, something needs to be edited so that the "diagnostic" option does not appear in the menu when you press F12, otherwise the laptop won't boot. :\
    Is that true?