Patch to allow Windows 7 install without the hidden partition.

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by nononsence, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Gamer2win

Gamer2win MDL Novice

Jun 10, 2008
    If you partition your hard drive before installing windows 7 There is NO hidden partition at all.
    So for new drives, simply partition and format it before installing windows 7
    .. I never had any hidden partition on any of my win7 install :)

2. zaino

zaino MDL Novice

Jan 29, 2010
    @nononsence

Just an awesome job with the patch.

thankfully there is someone like you out there that thinks about these things..
    i really appreciate it.

Thanks.

3. kubato

kubato MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
  4. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    the partition is for the startup files, which will allow the other partition to be encrypted with bitlocker, since the system will not
    boot if the startup files are encrypted.

5. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    I added a link to WindSLIC winsetup to the first post, for the pre-activation folks.

6. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    It is a different matter that someone wants to remove that 100 MB partition. However, if (a) you want it (and (b) use windows 7 inbuilt imaging and backup, I would recommend increasing sys. reserved partition size to around 200-500 MB. I have done this through Easeus and on a 500GB HDD, another 200-300MB should not be much. Rationale: win 7 inbuilt backup often fails if it sees only 30-40 MB free space on sys. reserved partition. Very frustrating. I have seen this many times. Sometimes, there is only 30 MB free and imaging fails. 5 mins later, it is 60 MB and imaging succeeds. I use this sys. reserved but have increased size to 400 MB. System imaging now works everytime. This is because at the most, sys. reserved has used up 80-90MB and so >200MB means >100MB free, which makes win 7 imaging work without a hitch.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. marcusj0015

marcusj0015 MDL Junior Member

Oct 30, 2009
    no effence OP

im not hating your work.

but this is a bad idea

if you want to dual boot xp or vista it WONT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    I just tested XP and Windows7 dual boot and it works fine.

test procedure was:

boot from XP disk
    create 10GB partition
    install XP to 10GB partition

boot from "patched" Windows 7 disk
    create 20GB partition
    install Windows 7 to 20GB partition

I have "Earlier Version of Windows" and Windows 7 in the boot menu and can boot into both OS's fine

Am I missing something???

9. marcusj0015

marcusj0015 MDL Junior Member

Oct 30, 2009
    ihad this on one windows 7 partition and i tried installing another partition of win 7 and it wouldnt work until i formated the whole damn drive

10. Per Henrik Rasmussen

Mar 29, 2008
    The dl link for pre-activation kit 2.7.3 updated 07/06/2010
    is not working.
    It sayes something about that there`s no availabel servers:(

11. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  12. qommonsense

qommonsense MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2010
    Actually there is a very easy and painless method right in the windows 7/Server R2 setup.

1. Highlight the drive you want to install windows to

2. Click on "Advanced"

3. If it's a new drive, create a new partition. Windows will create the 100MB partition in addition to your new partition

4. Delete your newly created partition, leaving the 100MB partition.

5. Select 100MB partition, Extend. OK. Done.

13. PapaJeff

PapaJeff MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2010
    I am not an expert. Having said that, is there a way to check the results of the "inserted" details with this outstandiing tool?

14. KrazdKiller

KrazdKiller Guest

this is fantastic. it's about time some one fixed this. thanks a lot

15. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Well keep in mind it's not actually something that needs fixing as it is in fact created for a good reason. Whats that reason? Well because having the files required to boot on their own partition at the start of the HDD means your system can boot that little bit quicker.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Slightly confused with this. Just wondered if i can get a pointer or two.

What i have done is replace "Sources\winsetup.dll" with the pre-patched one.
    I then tested but were unable to begin the install without the default 100mb partition.
    Obviously i am doing summet wrong.

On the "README" it mentions a "boot.wim" file ???????
    Should this file bee in the download package ? If so there wasn't one in what i downloaded.

Do i need both of these files and is just the simple job of putting these file into the "Sources" folder or is there summet else i should be doing ?

Its not vital like but i do have a multi system setup and i get to see a couple of extra drives in "My Computer" The 100mb partitioned drives,this i dont like and wish to do away with these...

cheers...:)

17. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    The boot.wim file is in sources folder you need to mount boot.wim image 2 with DISM and replace winsetup.dll with the pre-patched one. To be honest it's not worth the hassle.

18. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008

Thanks for this urie... i need to mount boot.wim with DISM.....urrrrrrr what is DISM ???
    And if i dont even know this i recon it wont be worth the hassle..

Cheers..

19. biatche

biatche MDL Addicted

Nov 14, 2009
    i suppose we need a new version for sp1 soon...