PC Died Today - Looking For Advice On How To Get It Up and Running

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Rock Hunter, Jul 19, 2014.

1. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Got it :worthy:
    Thanks CorporateRAT & Humphrey

2. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    My insurance coverage has a $1,000 deductible and the amount of the damage is less than the deductible. So no help there.

I ordered a new power supply and motherboard from Newegg. I ordered both since I don't know which item was damaged. Perhaps it was both. In any event I should be back up and running soon.

Again, thanks for all the help and suggestions.

3. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    a grand deductible is fraud at its best. I'd canceled that immediately. here we have no limit on this kind of insurance except on health care. Awesome rules out there :eek:

4. maffemuis

maffemuis MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2014
    your power supply is dead. most comment thing that is deaded after a powerbreak down

5. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Just as I thought. Here in the USA insurance is the biggest scam. It is necessary to have but if one files a claim then that person will get penalized with a higher rate and the deductible usually doesn't cover minor losses. File a large enough claim and you will get dropped. The insurance industry sucks big time!!!!
    FYI, any time there is a power outage always disconnect from your grid because when the power comes back up there is usually a huge power surge.

6. CorporateRAT

CorporateRAT MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    That's why we nerds buy PSU's with surge/inrush protection...

7. LeoNeeson

LeoNeeson MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2014
    Do you still have the problem or did you solved it? :coffee:

8. Veder

Veder MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2011
    Try a new psu bud, could be a fuse in the plug or your surge protector .
    1. plug straight into the wall (dont use surge protector)
    2. Try the plug with something else.
    3. try a new psu.

My condolences hate when thing go wrong :(
    we all been there, and you will get it back
    "WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY"

9. Rock Hunter

Dec 6, 2011
    Update:
    Ordered new MB PS CPU and video card from Newegg. Parts arrived in 3 days. Built the new computer over the weekend and it is now up and running. I also now have a new battery backup/surge protector. I guess it takes a power surge incident like I had to make a believer out of me. It was an expensive lesson.

Again, thanks to everyone who contributed suggestions.

10. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    Appears you changed almost everything and never determined what the prob was. You may now have 2 computers for a cheap price of one more PS or something. You may want to start swapping your new in old until you figure out what really went. RMA back what you do not need. I remember a lighting strike toke out all the network cards on my network as it must have came down the phone line and then through cat. That is also protected now.

Regards

11. Rock Hunter

Dec 6, 2011
    Correct Shayne. I could have spent time troubleshooting but I needed to get back up and running ASAP. I administer two web sites and had changes and updates to post. So time was the main reason for not tracking down the damaged component.

I donated the remains to St. Vincent de Paul with a note on it that it needs ram, hd, and perhaps a PS and/or MB. But somebody might get themselves a relatively good machine with a little work and investment.

12. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    That's the best thing to do in this situation than to allow it lying waste in the storage or selling it at a price relatively close to nothing. I admire people who provide opportunity for others. I appreciate your giving effort. Thank you,sir!

13. Herman Munster

Herman Munster MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2011
    All you needed was a power supply tester :confused: unplug the cable from the motherboard and plug it in the tester if it lights up green your good to go , if it's good your motherboard or other components were takin out by the power surge (buy a better surge protector not a cheap one because that's what happens) Herman o_O

14. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
  15. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Another rule of thumb for testing if a MoBo is bad is this:
    1. Check for any blown caps(Basically bloated capacitors)
    2. Take all RAM out and boot system, if it is beeping that is a good sign that the MoBo is good.
    3. Try re-seating the RAM one at a time to narrow a possible RAM failure.
    4. Always try a spare PSU to rule that out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. Drexl

Drexl MDL Junior Member

Aug 9, 2007
    I'm late but I'm curious: in troubleshooting, did you ever check the CMOS battery? I had a "dead" PC myself recently and it turned out to be the battery.

If you remove it and insert it back again, it may boot up once as it gets the last of the charge. Or just try a new one as they're only about 2 bucks.

17. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    He said it happened after the power surge. I doubt it could have be the CMOS battery responsible for the problem.

18. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    One thing too about the CMOS battery, it has nothing to do with the system booting, it pulls all it's power from the wall to turn on/boot. The only purpose of the CMOS battery is so your custom bios settings retain. It is the power that runs the EEPROM chip that holds all the bios settings, without the battery, the system would revert to default bios settings when the computer looses total power like a surge or just unplugging it.

Source: Myself, have used many old desktops with dead CMOS batteries.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    You have valid points. But,CMOS battery cannot affect the PSU as well.